Issues installing 3.17 patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues installing 3.17 patch

So I tried to install the 3.17 patch, but it tells me that BtS isn't installed. Now, I've reinstalled Windows since I installed Civ4 and I've also changed the letter of the drive it was installed on at least once, so I can see why it doesn't recognize it, but I did just play through a whole game of Civ4: BtS, so it's most definitely installed.

So I thought to myself, hmm... I'll just reinstall BtS. I tried doing that... computer claims basic Civ4 isn't installed I can't reinstall that because I lost one of the two original CDs. Now the game still works, I just can't patch it from 3.13 to 3.17

Any ideas?
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

When you have reinstalled windows, the registry entries were changed. The game has its directory and can be played, but windows does not "know" it is BtS. I don't know how to manually modify the registry to work (I don't which entries need to be added).

Comment

I'd think you have to have the reg entries in the first place in order to play the game ... they're probably just pointing to the wrong places. Take a look in the SMC4 entries and see what they look like... It could also be in the Installshield reg entries that there is a problem, don't forget.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Carefully, when dealing with registries. A deinstall/reinstall will fix BTS registry entries. Not ideal for saving your HOF, if that's important. (Mine is mostly a Hall of Infamy, recording my scores at retirement, which show up as losses.)
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

The point is he can't reinstall because it doesn't see Civ4's entries there, and Civ4 can't be reinstalled because he doesn't have his disk.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You can borrow a vanilla Civ IV CD from someone and install the game with it, then return the game and play BTS only.

There are other possibilities, but I am not sure if they are legal or not. You can download the Civ IV from some illegal site, which in your case may or may not be illegal (I honestly don't know).

Comment

Originally posted by TriMiro
              There are other possibilities, but I am not sure if they are legal or not. You can download the Civ IV from some illegal site, which in your case may or may not be illegal (I honestly don't know).
              Unfortunetaly, it's forbidden to even mention this in these forums.... (Yes, strict rules, but you know how they sue each other in USA and that the music/ movie/ game industry think a "borrowed" version is like terrorism....)

Comment

Companies always put those laws and regulations to fight software piracy, however, the only people that get hurt by those are honest people. No matter what defense there is on a game/music, someone manages to crack it, it just might take a little longer. I know of many cases where people are forced to crack their own legitimate copies of the game just to make it work. Luckily Civ doesn't have such a problem in general.

Comment

Working...
                X