Are you patriotic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you patriotic?

I am Dutch and I almost always play the Dutch. It's actually a bad civ for me since I play only on pangea maps (dutch are better on island maps).
    Other civs I like to try are Japanese, English, American, native american, greek and roman. Those are the nations I look up to.
    Do you also prefer to play your own country or do you mostly choose because of a leaders trait?

I usually pick a random leader so I can blame the game for giving me such a bad leader when I inevitably screw something up.

Comment

Usually random since that's how we do MP, so it's good to practice all the different ones.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I pretty much choose based on traits. I like to try some one new almost every new game i start up. I had a great run last night with Justinian I! He was fun to play with. I stick to the Roman guys more then any other civilization because i am very fond of the Roman Empire. I actually don't think i have ever even tried any of the American leaders to be honest... i simply prefer playing with older civs. On a side note i always turn the choose religion option on in my games, i go straight for Christianity & if i don't get it i restart. Unless i am playing as Saladin then i go for Islam. Saladin is one of the more intriguing leaders in history for me & i love using him... i just can't win with him! I got off topic huh?
        Strength & Honor!

Comment

About half the time I play random but when not I'm pretty patriotic playing either the English or Celts because of myself or the Indians because of my fiancee.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighteria
            I usually pick a random leader so I can blame the game for giving me such a bad leader when I inevitably screw something up.

I always play random also, now I have another reason for it.

Comment

My country was is no in among the standard civs so I play any one of them. However, when I downloaded a mod that had Bulgaria, I could only play Bulgaria. I have never played any of the other civs in the mod.

Comment

I have a tendency to go with the US. But I like to play as the Dutch on island maps, and India sometime too (fast workers rock). America's UU and UB often come into play too late to matter.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

well, I am Patriotic, but not to sound like the cold water committee, but this is a game.

I rarely play the Americans, but coincidently, am playing a hotseat game me and one other American spot on Continents playing 3 Russians

I really rather play unrestricted leaders version, mix 'n match so to speak.

In respect to gameplay, Im more Historically inclined as in love the history of a country in a primary role of who I chose as opposed to Patriotic selection.

Oh and my family roots are French, Irish and Deutche
                  Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

No Canada, but I have been trying to play everybody. Or at least everybody that has a trait combo, or UB/UU that I want to try out.
                    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I also play Random Leaders.
                      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

I tend to play Civs I'm sympathetic too (generally that means I know something about them) and never those that are really of the modern age.

Never play the English though!
                        www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zenn-La
                          I pretty much choose based on traits. I like to try some one new almost every new game i start up.
                          For the most part I pick the civs as Zenn-La described. Haven't done all the leaders in the set once yet. I occasionally use the random leader option.

My personal nationalism doesn't apply in a game like this one. Also the Americans (and the Germans) are terribly handicapped by the lateness of their UU/UB combo. I do try the Celts more than some others as my family roots are Irish (and German plus a little English that the family doesn't really acknowledge). Also I really like the Dutch combination of traits and UB. I never play on pangea, however -- either fractal or the new tectonics.
                          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I always play as the Icelandic. Their leader, Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson, doesn't have any traits. Our UU is a killer sheep (sheep resource needed) and our UB is a mud hut with grass roof (we used to live in those).

Comment

I rather think patriotism is a waste of effort.

In the sense that most people use it, it is a little meaningless but divisive nonetheless

Comment

Working...
                              X