No announcement yet.

Is slavery better than I think it is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most wonders and big hammer buildings cost too many citizens to be worth whipping, at least until very near the finish. Soldiers on the other hand, can be worth it in a big food, low hammer city.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I do try to have a granary before whipping most wonders. And of course you'll have to wait until it's almost completed anyway. But with a granary and high food production you can whip 3 citizens into a wonder and be back to size 6 less than 10 turns.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
        Typically whipping wonders seems wasteful... you should be whipping granaries and soldiers
        Flogging teaches a soldier only one lesson. How to turn his back.
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

You get a hammer penalty when you whip wonders. So economy wise it's not a wise policy.

Nevertheless I still whip wonders when I think - or just fear - that the AI may be near completing it as well. This is mainly early game. Mid-game I usually have a good idea of where everybody is techwise, and thus a much clearer picture of what wonders I'll get.

Anyway I really loved that whip.

And yeah I've stacked whipping anger as high as 70+ turns remaining, on a quick game. That was multiplayer though. Whip every other turn, 12 unhappy faces due to whipping, 30 happy faces due to military in the city. Whipping anger isn't an issue - until your units leave to the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Diadem
            Nevertheless I still whip wonders when I think - or just fear - that the AI may be near completing it as well. This is mainly early game.
            Before currency, when you cannot build wealth, is an ideal time to build a wonder THAT YOU WILL NOT COMPLETE! When someone else completes it, instant solution to your horrific financial situation.

Who knows, perhaps you'll conquer the wonder later.

Comment

Great way to pay for upgrades is to accumulate wealth in wonders you do not expect to beat the AI to.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
              X