Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I calculate the maintenance cost of units?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I calculate the maintenance cost of units?

How do I do this?

I'd like to be able to determine exactly when and by how much it's going to cost me to have X number of units on the field. This way I know when I'm about to start losing money and that I should unleash the troops in a war, cut back on unit building, etc.

F2.

Comment

I think he'd like to be able to calculate in advance the Away Cost of units who are not yet away ... so that's not precisely helpful
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Well, it's X per unit over your limit, no? Is X always 1?

Comment

I think depending on your civics x isn't always 1
          -- Orange Loins, baby--

Comment

The limits before they cost money is higher in Vassalage. So unit costs are lower in that Civic.
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Right, but I have no idea what my "limits" are or what, for example, an axeman or 10 axemen cost to maintain. This is what I'm trying to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11
                F2.
                ...Then roll the mouse over items in the EXPENSES column

Comment

That mouse roll will tell you how many units you have over the base limit which also shows for that civic set. Separately, the roll will show how many units you have over the "away" unit limit and that limit for this civics set. Unit costs for units over those limits are apparently rounded to $1 each. I say this because if you eliminate units using the death's head, overall costs do not go down at all sometimes, but go down by $2 sometimes. The pattern is usually no savings, $2, none, $2, undsoweiter. I put that to rounding, but it may be programming.
                  No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                  "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                    That mouse roll will tell you how many units you have over the base limit which also shows for that civic set. Separately, the roll will show how many units you have over the "away" unit limit and that limit for this civics set. Unit costs for units over those limits are apparently rounded to $1 each. I say this because if you eliminate units using the death's head, overall costs do not go down at all sometimes, but go down by $2 sometimes. The pattern is usually no savings, $2, none, $2, undsoweiter. I put that to rounding, but it may be programming.
                    Have seen the same thing myself, but that's when I move a unit outside my borders. Suddenly it costs 2 instead of one.

...which leads to an other answer also for NFIH. Remember that it costs extra when leaving your borders. So just having an army, isn't that bad, but when moving them outside your land, can be expensive.

Comment

Without any civic effects, you get free unit support, equal to 25% of the number of citizens you have.

Then the resulting number gets an extra percentual deduction based on the difficulty level you're running.
                      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
                        Without any civic effects, you get free unit support, equal to 25% of the number of citizens you have.
                        Didn't know that! Thanks! That explains why I can build a real huge army late game without even noticing it on my economy

Comment

Working...
                        X