Playing As Incas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing As Incas

Before starting, here are the specs I play with, epic speed, monarch, standard size world. In playing the Incas, I used the Continents map selection.

I usually play as the Dutch, which definitely favors a building style of game play. I wanted to try something different, so I played a couple of games as the Incas. At first it's a lot of fun, you start building nothing but Quechuas. Send the first few out to find your nearest neighbors. Research Mining, then BW, so you can pop Quechuas. Once you've found another civ, wait until you've assembled ten Quechuas, then go attack. This will usually be at about 2300-2500 BC. It's like taking candy from a baby, and you can take out that first civ altogether and hurt a second one. It looks like you're already on the road to victory.

Not so fast. At that point, you usually have three cities, your capital, the dead civ's capital and its second city. However, the latter two are almost always a long way from your capital and that's a problem for trade routes. You'll find that your income per turn is really low. You have to keep your slider below 20% or so, which really hurts tech advance. Because of these financial difficulties, you can't build more settlers and connect up with the distant cities. Also, you can't just build a road to them because of the barbarians that are roaming around. In the end, I find that my advantage has evaporated by the mid-game and I'm often even slightly behind in techs. Is anyone else's experience like this?

I usually only conquer an early neighbor if he's nearby. And even then, it often can be effective to take 1 city (the capitol), and either raze or interdict (park 2 quecha on a forest hill in the BFC) any others. The latter will stymie his growth with no worker action and he'll be easy pickings later.

Comment

I love playing as the Incas. Found this strategy quite some time ago on this board. It works well for me on Prince level.

Comment

The temptations of that early rush ...

The thing I try to remember is that each AI is separate. Its easy to get into thinking that bashing one or two AI civs is 'weakening the AI' but of course it doesn't. It does nothing to weaken the other AI civs, and indeed sometimes can stregthen them by giving them more room to expand etc. Later on five equally mediocre AI civs are easier to deal with that three large ones.

So the rule must be, doing in the AI is of no benefit of itself - it only works if as a result I get stronger. Which of course can often be the case, if you are seizing good land, cities etc. which you can then actually make use of.

That early on, unless the civs are very densly packed, one captured capital is going to be as much as you can cope with and gives you lots of space, between it and you, to try to expand into and keep free of barbarians.

Interdiction is probably very clever. Keeping them going - not creating blank space which the barbs fill, or which other civs expand into - but keeping them weak enough to take later on when you are ready to absorb more land. Rather like a spider keeping its prey paralised but alive to keep a supply of nice warm blood. I haven't really tried it properly myself though - maybe my next game.

Comment

I am just now playing the Incans for the first time in CIV4 (Vanilla), mostly in the hope of an early Quecha rush.

But it turned out that my dear AI neighbors were too far away to make it a good strategy, so for a while I concentrated on settler expansion instead. During this process I found 2 barbarian cities close to nice and useful resources - both of them just guarded with 2 archer units.

Thats where the Quecha guys came in handy! All of the new units got extra promotion against archers, and it was a piece of cake to make the 2 cities mine without having a long war against AI on my hands.

So all in all: Quecha against archers in the early game makes the Incans worthwhile.

ybrevo

Comment

What about being the romans their unique building is the market and praetorians have an attack of 8

Comment

Originally posted by mrp
              What about being the romans their unique building is the market and praetorians have an attack of 8
              That's an interesting civ to play, but we wouldn't normally discuss it in a thread about the Incas.

Comment

Unless he's trying to say, real players don't use the romans because it's too easy and maybe the incas are in the same catagory. Yeah, quite a stretch.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                X