Several questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several questions

Im not new to Civilization, but I am new to taking the game more seriously- I've read many different threads on strategy and methods but I still have some areas of weakness - let the questions begin:

1) If one of the other civilizations is a few turns away from discovering a technology does it gain me less relation points to give them that technology? ex: hannibal is 4 turns away from code of laws, does he like me less than if i gave him code of laws 20 turns away?

Im thinking giving them stuff when they are about to get it anyway is a way of gaining some bufferzone to early attack.

2) Corporations- do I want to spread it to all my cities or major cities before I spread it to another civilization? I find that often they wont let me spread it into other civs- so I try to do it when i can. But darned corps cost me tons of money in my own cities. Does it cost them? do they get the bonuses in food/culture or whatever also? I surely wouldnt want to give that to a future enemy.

3) Citizen automation- is it evil? Ive seen i can focus on hammers/food/etc... but I really dont understand when im supposed to alter this. Is it just when people are unhappy or starving? (generally speaking). If there is a good link someone has to this style of city management- id love to digest it

4) It seems I feel a strong desire to build basic things in every city, like granary, forge etc... But I Keep reading about people who dont do that. Is it bad for me to build buildings- should I be making troops when Im not really planning a war yet?

5) if my city has a bunch of windmills around it, do i need to focus citizens on those? they seem to be able to generate alot of commerce in the late game, or are they maxed out in efficiency on their own?

6) Is it possible to play on a map larger than huge? with more than 6 continents? Is there a mod to do that?

Thanks in advance, and Im really glad I found this forum!

Zat
    -- Just because you're paranoid doesnt mean they aren't really after you

1. If you are playing with no tech brokering on, then they unlikely to accept a tech as gift if they have almost researched it. If you have no tech brokering off, I'm not sure what the difference would be.

2. Corps cost maintenance to the owner of every city with the corp. The maintenance cost has many variables. You get +12 gold in each city in the world with the corp if the headquarters is in your wall street city. Personally, I spread my corps to as many of my cities as long as I am not losing gold from the Corp. That means if I start getting with -13 gold or more in maintenance from some citiees, but i don't have enough cities with maintenance below 12 to make up for the cost, I will spread it to some foreign cities.

3. I prefer to control my citizens personally.

4. I think all cities need a granary or forge. They can help no matter what your purpose for the city is. Some buildings can't help a city's purpose. Such as a library in a city with high-, low- city that you only intend to use for making units.

6. You could probably find a mod for it at CFC.
    Last edited by Will9; July 9, 2008, 21:38.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by zatarra
      2) Corporations- do I want to spread it to all my cities or major cities before I spread it to another civilization? I find that often they wont let me spread it into other civs- so I try to do it when i can. But darned corps cost me tons of money in my own cities. Does it cost them? do they get the bonuses in food/culture or whatever also? I surely wouldnt want to give that to a future enemy.
      You need to be selective when establishing a corporation in a city, since you might end up actually losing money on them. Think of them as trading gold for some other resource that a city might need. You don't necessarily want to put them into every city, just the ones that can benefit the most from them. And yes, it will cost the other civ if you place one in their cities, and they do indeed get the bonuses, so you need to be selective there as well. As mentioned, it's a very good idea to place the head office in your Wall Street city, which should also have a Bank, Market and Grocer. This will help offset the maintenance cost to the city itself. You get 4 gold for every corporation branch, +100% for having a Market etc. and another 100% for your Wall Street, for a total of 12.

3) Citizen automation- is it evil? Ive seen i can focus on hammers/food/etc... but I really dont understand when im supposed to alter this. Is it just when people are unhappy or starving? (generally speaking). If there is a good link someone has to this style of city management- id love to digest it
      I don't agree with citizen automation as I think sometimes the governor can be quite stupid. IMO, you'll always do a better job of managing them yourself. Other people might disagree though.

4) It seems I feel a strong desire to build basic things in every city, like granary, forge etc... But I Keep reading about people who dont do that. Is it bad for me to build buildings- should I be making troops when Im not really planning a war yet?
      Just ask yourself if there's going to be any benefit to the building your considering. If you have a landlocked city with alot of Hills and no Cottages, then it doesn't make any sense to build a Market or there.

5) if my city has a bunch of windmills around it, do i need to focus citizens on those? they seem to be able to generate alot of commerce in the late game, or are they maxed out in efficiency on their own?
      If you mean do you need to have someone working those Windmills, then yes you do. They don't generate anything if they're not being worked.

6) Is it possible to play on a map larger than huge? with more than 6 continents? Is there a mod to do that?
      It's easy to make your own "larger than huge" maps. Just copy your Assets/XML/GameInfo/CIV4WorldInfo.xml file to the appropriate folder in your Custom Assets folder and change the values for the grid sizes. And if you use the Hemispheres map script, you can select 6 continents if you wish.

Comment

1) The bonus relations for trade will depend on how much that trade is worth to the recipient. Code of Laws 4 turns away may be worth 100g to Hannibal while at 20 turns it would be worth something like 500g. The higher value will mean that he is much happier with you. You won’t improve relations much by handing out cheap gifts.

Conversely, I think demanding money or techs can be cheap so if you want to demand something, go for the best thing that you can get away with receiving.

3) I would avoiding letting the city governor free reign to allocate your population.

4) It really depends on the circumstances. Generally, you want to build the basics first in your cities but you should be aware both of the purpose of that city and the game situation. Sometimes a city might spend all its early turns churning out units for an opportunistic war (perhaps even before a barracks) but then reverts to longer term investments such as granary, forge, library. You may find that a source of early culture can be very important to a city early – ie if lots of resources are on the edge of the fat cross but generally, I would go for a granary first.

5) Windmills tend to be reasonably good tiles if you want to grow but I would concentrate more on food rich tiles first. You can place a value on each tile using a crude formula (ie 1f=2h=3c) and then rank all your tiles to decide the order in which you work them. But don’t take the results of this comparison as gospel – it is a guide.

Comment

3) The city governor does an adequate job with intelligent use of the emphasize buttons. This is especially true with BtS and the latest patch. Many people formed a negative opinion of it (and rightly so) with older versions of the game.

Using the citizen governor avoids both a huge amount of micromanagement and the problem of reallocation when the city grows. So there are definitely benefits to be had.

Comment

Working...
          X