trouble installing patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trouble installing patch

When I try to download the 3.17 patch through the game it doesn't start downloading, and I cannot do anything else because I get the message "You must finish the patching process before you proceed." I have to reboot or ctrl-alt-del out. I tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling, and still get this bug. Is there any way to manually download the patch or do I have to go through tech support for this?
    Last edited by AdamTG02; July 8, 2008, 04:16.
    Adam T. Gieseler

Tried Poly's version? http://boa.apolyton.net/civ4/files/o...Patch_v317.exe

Comment

I had a similar problem yesterday - I just used 'Polys version above - it worked just fine.

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

The Apolyton patch download freezes at 34 megabytes in. I've tried it three times, twice with Firefox and once with IE, and every time it stopped downloading at that point.

Tech support was no help -- they told me to download it from civfanatics.com . I even am trying that, but the download is taking forever.

Any other ideas?
        Adam T. Gieseler

Comment

If it's freezing at a specific point, then you need to look at what is causing that

1. Disk space - are you out of space on the drive it's downloading to?

2. Download device - try using a different tool to download it (if you're using IE, then Firefox, or Opera, or something else).

3. ISP - are you on a cable ISP with PowerBoost or whatever (the fast download burst) - is that causing the issue?
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I have been using both IE and Firefox, and while on the fourth and subsequent tries it stopped at different points, it has always stopped before finishing and would not restart.

I am on a cable ISP (Cox Communications.) I have never heard of anything called PowerBoost -- is it something that can interfere with downloads?

Edit: And, of course, I'm not out of space -- that's the first thing I checked. But thanks for making sure.

Second edit: I checked my ISP's website, and it does use something called PowerBoost. I'm not sure if that would cause the observed behavior, though -- what will happen is that it will download for a while, then hang for 10+ minutes and not download anything more. Is this a known issue with PowerBoost?
            Last edited by AdamTG02; July 8, 2008, 14:23.
            Adam T. Gieseler

Comment

Well, i'm not that knowledgeable about Powerboost, but what it does is speed up the download for the first bit, and then lets it slow down to your normal download speed. (It doesn't necessarily actually do anything, mind you, as most sites don't have that fast of upload speeds... but in theory.) I could imagine it messing up things in that manner, though.

I'd try to disable the download manager if you can - I don't recall how to do that exactly on FF, but it's possible. Sometimes download managers can work in funny ways.

Also, make sure you delete the old temporary file - perhaps that is getting in the way.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Well, it downloaded when I tried again this morning. Now I'll just hope it installs.

Thanks to everyone else who posted for their help!
                Adam T. Gieseler

Comment

Working...
                X