A strange occurrance - patch related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A strange occurrance - patch related?

So I just finished up my last epic game, so it was time to take the new patch out for a spin. Epic - huge - fractal - prince. Things are going according to plan when in 320 BC, 6 civs declare war on me, simultaneously. 2 of these civs had the same religion as I did, 3 of them were pleased with me. I checked and I was 2nd in military strength when this happened. Anyways, I got crushed and am starting another game. I'm going to see if this sort of thing happens again.
    Attached Files

Don´t underrate the AIs diplomatic capabilities

Often they will pull diplomatic strings to make sure they´re not alone in their attack against a certain enemy. YOu might also want to check wether there ara any master/vassal relations between some or even all of them (Vassals will always take part in the wars of their masters)
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Who owned the Apostolic Palace? Was it Joao or Mansa?

Comment

Back when I was using a comp that could play the game this sort of thing happened to me a couple times under the previous patch while playing as monarch level. It helps to be ready...on the flip side it's a pain to have potential allies declare on you right off.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

There were no masters or vassals, nor was the Apostolic Palace built. Heck, the tech wasn't even researched by anyone yet.

And I've seen it happen before, but only when I was the weakest civ on the board. Hearing the "someone has declared war on you" sound six times in succession is a little scary.

I already started a new game, but if it happens again, I'm going to check the game out and see if someone is trading techs to get a lot of allies. If so, it's a new AI tactic that I've never seen on such a large scale.

Comment

Hum, better AI is good, but that's a bit excessive.
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Well, in my current game, the exact same thing just happened to Mansa Musa. 5 civs declare war simultaneously.
              Attached Files

Comment

Have the "No Tech Brokering" turned on. You don't want the AI's trading techs that they themselves did not research in order to get other AIs into a massive war against you.
                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
                  Have the "No Tech Brokering" turned on. You don't want the AI's trading techs that they themselves did not research in order to get other AIs into a massive war against you.
                  Hmm. I almost always play that way, maybe that's why I don't see this happening in my games. You might be on to something, Wittlich.

Comment

Was almost planning of posting a similar message. In my last game, most civs were ok with me and I was at war with just 1. Then suddenly, 3 or 4 started to attack me.
                    Though being ahead in knowledge and power, being attacked from 4 sides was too much. I really believe it has something to do with the latest patch since it was not so severe some time ago.

Comment

I play no tech trading and have never experienced this.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The point was not to make it stop, but to see if the patch was causing a shift in tactics. From my limited play time and Colm's post, it looks to be so. I'm still playing my second game with the new patch, and it's pretty much non-stop gang warfare. Almost all wars begin with 3-6 civs declaring war on one other.

Time to make some friends. Powerful friends.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckdelicious
                          Almost all wars begin with 3-6 civs declaring war on one other.

Time to make some friends. Powerful friends.
                          Are you playing with "Aggressive AI", by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by RP21

Are you playing with "Aggressive AI", by any chance?
                            Nope.

I find it odd that more people aren't seeing this behavior. Perhaps I'll start another game.

Comment

Hmm. I *do* play "aggressive AI" and I haven't seen anything like that. Wow.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X