What the heck happened here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck happened here?

To the south of me is psycho Monty and to my right Augustus. I avoided conflict with Monty for quite awhile -- he kept demanding things and I kept giving them to him. So I put a couple of forts and four or five macemen in each to act as sentries at the border. Sure enough, the idiot declared war. I dialled up Augustus (he's ahead of us both) and got him to declare war on Monty. That was just enough to take the heat off me so I moved my now-increasing groups of macemen in to his two closest cities. I destroyed one and WHAMMO watched my macemen get bounced back across into my territory. A message at the top of the screen said I had made peace with Monty. News to me, so I figured Augustus must have done it. I decided to try to finish the job (I now had knights being manufactured) and turned my boys around and marched back into Monty's territory, thereby declaring war. BUT I immediately discovered that this had triggered war between me and Augustus. What's going on here? Monty originally declared on me, so why aren't I the one who gets to make peace. And why is Augustus switching sides so fast?
    Jack

Really now, you should know about the whole vassal thing. Obviously Monty capitulated to Augustus. By attacking Monty, you automatically declare war on Augustus.

Comment

I have to agree with Willem, sounds exactly like the thing that happened. When I got the Khmer to capitulate (with having before several of my fellow brothers in faith being at war with the Khmer as well) and be my vassal, there was as well immediately peace between the Khmer and all other former warfaring parties.
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Monty becomes vassal of Augustus and since you cannot get into war with Augustus you get peace. When you attack Monty, you now attack both.

Comment

Reload, build army, kill'em both

Comment

Oh, I know about the vassal thing. I didn't notice a message telling me that -- or does that not happen? In any case, I figured Monty was too strong to become a vassal that easily. Well, there you are.

Moonwolf, that's what I'm going to do. The knights they are a-building.
            Jack

Comment

You get a message (I think), but it's often very easy to miss if you are busy with something else and they also appears on the main screen a bit later it actually happenes. If you check the combat log, you'll probably see it there (like in my current game, I check the combat log to see what engagments my planes have had as it's too long to wait for the main screen).

Happy Hunting, MyOlde

Comment

Oh, now there's something new to me: where is this combat log?
                Jack

Comment

Main screen top left. There is a button to the log and after clicking it you can specify further by clicking the combat tab.
                  "Can we get a patch that puts Palin under Quayle?" - Theben

Comment

This whole scenario is maddening. You plan a war, execute it well, roll over several cities, then a third party swoops in to take a city and vassalize your victim.

You do get a message, but in your bloodlust, it's easy to miss.

Almost makes me want to play with the 'No Vassals' option.
                    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by MyOlde
                      In any case, I figured Monty was too strong to become a vassal that easily. Well, there you are.
                      If this is a 3.17 game, Firaxis has lowered the capitulation threhold in the patch, making it easier for a civ to capitulate. The debate is still out whether this is a good change or not. I don't think it is myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er
                        Almost makes me want to play with the 'No Vassals' option.
                        I have already taken that step and my games are much less frustrating ever since...
                        "Can we get a patch that puts Palin under Quayle?" - Theben

Comment

Yes, Willem, it is a 3.17 patch game. And your explanation helps. Thanks. I guess I'm repeating myself but Monty did seem to cave awfully quickly -- for the aggressive whacko that he's proven himself to be before.

BTW, Happy Canada Day. (That goes for all Canadians on the forum.)
                          Jack

Comment

The AI coding leans on the power graph quite a bit. So, if Monty saw Augustus as the supreme power and his own power dropping rapidly, he would capitulate quickly to the leading with which he is at war.

Interesting sidenote: I have had the losing party in a war (Elizabeth) approach me for capitulation even though I am not in the war. I accepted and found myself immediately at war with all her former enemies. I had expected peace to break out, but that is not the case if you weren't part of the attacking alliance.

To continue the story, I crushed the out-of-place soldiers expelled due to the declarations, then ate a few cities along the periphery and soon had all but one back at peace. That one I fought until he capitulated to me too. None of the AI had the stomach to let him capitulate to them, just so they could fight with me again. I went from #3 on the power chart to #1.
                            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

The situation that frustrates me is when I'm *trying* to get a foreign state to capitulate, so I check every turn as I kill its units in the field and take a city or two. It never wants to capitulate until it grinds its SOD to dust in an attempt to retake one of its own cities. With the SOD gone, it's ready to capitulate, but it always does so with my neighbor, and then I have a two-front war.

Comment

Working...
                              X