Vassals and Diplo Victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vassals and Diplo Victory

In another thread, Rah indicated he turned these off as they create potential problems. He said the AP permits very strange victories -- few cities with religion can still vote selves to victory. He also said there is a "known bug" in the Vassal system. Anyone care to elaborate on either of these. Thanks.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

For the AP each civ gets one vote per population point they have in cities with the AP religion. If every civ has at least one city with the AP religion then the diplo victory vote is enabled.

This means that if you have three 10 pop cities (you'll likely have more) with the religion you get 30 votes. If you spread the religion intelligently among the other civs they'll each have one size 1 or 2 city with it and so a combined total of maybe 15 votes. You can then vote yourself into victory with ease.

Not a satisfying victory but won't happen if you don't deliberately set out to do it. I always leave the option enabled as I enjoy the AP and it's effects.

Don't know about the bug.

Comment

The known bug was when you created a colony it could cause ripples throughout the world as wars were instantly declared, including your newly created colony if it took the slot of a civ that had been eliminated from the game and was still pissed at you for being eliminated.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Thanks, rah. I have also had conquered cities instantly ask to be allowed to "return to their mother country," naming a newly established colony with another civ's name.

As to AP and UN, if you turn diplo victory off, do these two buildings still keep all their other effects?
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
          Thanks, rah. I have also had conquered cities instantly ask to be allowed to "return to their mother country," naming a newly established colony with another civ's name.

As to AP and UN, if you turn diplo victory off, do these two buildings still keep all their other effects?
          I don't think you can even build the UN or AP with Diplomatic victory disabled.
          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er

I don't think you can even build the UN or AP with Diplomatic victory disabled.
            That's right.

Comment

Since 313 both AP diplomatic victory and UN diplomatic victory isn't an allowed option if by yourself you have enough votes for it to be a "win now" button.

For a guartined AP / UN victory you need at least one vasal who himself is not eligible and
              sufficent votes when combined with those vasal(s) not eligible while less than the # of votes needed to win single handedly.
              Last edited by joncnunn; July 3, 2008, 21:23.
              1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
              Templar Science Minister
              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

What's AU?

Comment

AU = Apolyton University. It's a set of training scenarios. You'll find as a sub-forum to this one.

Comment

Oh, thanks. I know about AU. I thought he was talking about something in game, maybe a typo for AP, but wasn't sure.
                    Last edited by wodan11; July 3, 2008, 12:58.

Comment

I think he did mean AP
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                      X