No announcement yet.

Unofficial BtS 3.17 patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finalized? You wish Nothing prevents you from carrying on with a new version.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

AAHZ, I started a game with Solver's 0.15 and was becoming weary of all the spy notices. So, as soon as it became available I installed version 0.19 (just the .dll file this time) and now I only get notices of spies being caught "due to elevated counterintel." That's not from a vassal, its from Saladin, and Saladin is going to die (actually, already in progress.

Comment

May I say I, for one, like the forest starts? I have the choice to chop rather than slave my people to death. With one of those starts, I may not even adopt slavery. I seldom use it anyway. My last three coastal starts, all in June with official 3.17 installed, were very forested. OTH, my inland start had two parallel desert rivers with 9 flood plains and no resources in the BFC. Three resources turned up, Copper, Iron, and Coal plus horses were placed so my second expansion took them in. Were four health resources within three expansions. A) WOW! and B) What forests? Will try your fix soon, even though I suspect you'll keep tinkering for awhile.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
          May I say I, for one, like the forest starts? I have the choice to chop rather than slave my people to death. With one of those starts, I may not even adopt slavery. I seldom use it anyway.
          What can I say, but ...
          DITTO! Leave the forests.

Also, kudos to the AI for not chopping every forest/jungle outside of their BFCs. Personally, I have frequently preserved forests outside my BFCs so they may spread and I'll have the option to chop that forest at 3-tile range.

Just say 'NO' to global warming.
          It's only about 110 Fahrenheit (43 C) here today, as is.

Comment

I also like forests It has never occured to me as a problem actually... My recent game I started with the tropical setting on. It felt a lot more natural so to speak, and even by 1940-1950s (Epic speed), there are still some islands with forests/ junlge that are not settled. Think of it: almost all of the land used for aggriculture have been a forrest/ jungle.

Comment

You guys are really talking about something completely different. As I understand, the "forest" question is ONLY in starting location BFCs.

If you want to increase the percentage of forest on the map overall, that's something else....

Comment

Re: Unofficial BtS 3.17 patch

Originally posted by Solver

Currently we have version 0.19, here's the changelog (should be read bottom to top).
                • Somewhat experimental AI change: Aggressive AI now considerably less likely to want peace if it poses more of an immediate threat to enemy cities than it currently faces itself.

Hi Solver: as everybody here, I am very grateful to you for providing this patch that fixes bugs in Firaxis' official patch.

Thinking about the change quoted above, may I anyway ask you one question:

Is your patch merely a bug fix, or is it to some extend a "mod" where you change the AI in a way that some people may like, but which is not necessarily intended by Firaxis?

Comment

I am trying to stay consistent with how Firaxis patches the game. AI improvements are part of that - every patch has had AI improvements. I'm not going to do any AI changes that would go against Firaxian intent, such as making them ruthlessly eliminate the game leader at all costs.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                    I am trying to stay consistent with how Firaxis patches the game. AI improvements are part of that - every patch has had AI improvements. I'm not going to do any AI changes that would go against Firaxian intent, such as making them ruthlessly eliminate the game leader at all costs.
                    Hi Solver: Thanks, this is very good to hear!

May I ask one more question: Your version number is now 0.19, and at least to my knowledge a 0.xx usually indicates some beta version. On the other hand, from looking at this board there hardly seem to be any bugs reported that are not yet addressed, so apparently the situation already "stabilizes". - So do you plan to reach a 1.00 version still, and if so, when would this roughly be realistic happen?

Comment

PolarHki, it's unlikely the version number of these unoffical patches will ever be 1.## instead of 0.##. The unoffical patches amounts to beta testing of large sections of the next offical patch assuming there is one.

But is very clean beta test code.
                      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                      Templar Science Minister
                      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

So, I'm assuming no further unofficial, or indeed official patches were made? Haven't played in awhile, wondering if I'm up to date.
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Sorry, DP.
                          Last edited by Jaybe; March 22, 2009, 12:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun View Post
                            So, I'm assuming no further unofficial, or indeed official patches were made? Haven't played in awhile, wondering if I'm up to date.
                            Unofficially, there is definitely Better BTS AI at CFC. Investigate the enclosing forum dedicated to Better AI to your heart's content. HIGHLY recommended, though you might browse the forum and mod docs to get an idea of changes (some of which are dramatic).

The Hephmod Beyondmod I play is just using Better AI v0.41 (because the mod encompasses the Revolutions mod which contains Better AI).
                            Last edited by Jaybe; March 22, 2009, 12:47.

Comment

Ah, thank you. I had a feeling modders wouldn't just stop... They never stop...
                              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I never installed a single patch for CIV4. I've bought each expansion as it came out and am now play BtS. What patches do I need and what patches are nice to add? Are the patches built on top of each other so I can just install one patch and capture all the changes?

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I am
                                Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X