Civ 4: BtS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 4: BtS

Civ 4 runs fine on my computer, but i'm having an issue with Beyond the Sword. It installs fine, but when i try to run it it closes with a windows error right after the engine launches. I meet all the recommended system requirements and everything. I thought the CD was corrupted but i returned it for a different one and it's still happening. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, were you able to fix it?

May be driver problem. Try updating all your drivers (especially the graphics one), update DirectX (did it give error during installation), another guess would be to try and update the game to see if the newer version would run. Does it give a specific error it so what does it say? That is pretty much all my guesses.

Comment

I remember a lot of people had trouble when BtS came out and updating DirectX fixed it for most of them.

Wodan

Comment

True, BtS requires a bit more of your system (also HW) than vanilla/ Warlords.

Comment

DirectX is the big thing to make sure and upgrade, indeed.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Snoop, I thought the installer did that automatically. It did for me at least.
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

but I know that what fixes a lot of the BTS install problems is upgrading directx

Comment

Especially make sure that your graphics card really supports the needed DirectX version.
                Older graphics don´t support it (which was the reason for me to buy a new one as BtS wouldn´t run with the old one)
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by TriMiro
                  May be driver problem. Try updating all your drivers (especially the graphics one), update DirectX (did it give error during installation), another guess would be to try and update the game to see if the newer version would run. Does it give a specific error it so what does it say? That is pretty much all my guesses.
                  The graphics drivers should do it. I had a similar problem when I got a new computer recently. I assumed it came with the latest drivers, but I had the same problem when I tried running BTS or the latest version of vanilla, but not the vanilla from the CD.
                  Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader
                    I got a new computer recently. I assumed it came with the latest drivers....
                    Fail.

New computers never come with the latest drivers, unless custom built.

Wodan

Comment

Hey, the last time I got a new computer I built it myself. The time before that was like 1999, I forget things
                      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader
                        Hey, the last time I got a new computer I built it myself. The time before that was like 1999, I forget things
                        All that binge drinking in your mis-spent youth, no doubt.

Wodan

Comment

Given his join date, I suspect he has something else to blame...

Comment

I updated DirectX and it's still not working, so I guess it's the driver then.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                              Given his join date, I suspect he has something else to blame...
                              If my memory went this bad after I passed 30, just wait till I pass 40!

Comment

Working...
                              X