Benefits of religion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits of religion?

I'm not clear on the benefits of getting religions. Is there an extra bonus or benefit to getting all of them? If you have more than one, I assume Free Religion is the best setting?
    Jack

Having more than one religion is useful if you need Free religion, but also you want monasteries to boost your science/culture, or you want temples to boost happiness, or you need cathedrals and such to boost culture.

It's also interesting to spread all religions for which you own the shrine. Usually one shrine is enough but if you can get two or more, particularly in the same city...

You may also want to spread someone else's religion if the Apostolic Palace has been built so you get the bonus hammers from religious buildings and can vote in the AP.

Free religion is only the best setting if it doesn't harm you. Having a state religion can provide more than the 10%science + happiness benefits, for instance if you own the Spiral Minaret or University of Sankore.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Re: Benefits of religion?

Originally posted by MyOlde
      I'm not clear on the benefits of getting religions. Is there an extra bonus or benefit to getting all of them? If you have more than one, I assume Free Religion is the best setting?
      There should be a bonus for getting all the religions. The most I have ever founded myself is four.
      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Religion is also a diplomacy bonus or penalty depending on whether you are a brother of the faith or a heathen in your opponents' eyes.

If you play with the Apostolic Palace active, see if you can build it yourself, but just before it finishes, switch to a minor religion you have and hopefully no one else does. Spread it to all your cities, but only one small (unproductive) city of each opponent (unless they already have a city with that religion). That should ensure you have the most votes.

Or, if you're a warmonger, you can let someone else build it and make a priority of taking that city. It can be annoying to have AP resolution votes go against you. You either have to comply and have your plans foiled, or defy the resolution and endure unhappiness in your AP religion cities (which may or may not be a big deal).

The AP is disabled if diplomatic victory is disabled.
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

That's great. Thanks, folks.
          Jack

Comment

Working...
          X