Does the AI "tag team" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the AI "tag team" ?

I have just moved up to Prince level and am finding it much more challenging than Noble - not that that is a problem - but in my first game I noted some interesting behaviour from the AI's - I was on a continent with 3 of them, and no sooner had one agreed to peace with me in Ancient/Classical Times after a short war (they were the aggressor), but the next would DoW me. They seemed to tag team in and out which always kept me behind techwise and making lots of units.

Is there a programming reason why the AI would "tag team", or is this just a coincidence that they have declared for differing reasons consecutively ?

I was suspicious ...

Thanks

More coincidence, or as a side effect of loosing units in the first war.

Once you loose a few units, your power graph takes a hit, then the other AIs will take notice. It takes them some time to get ready, wich gives it the appearence of waiting til the last war ended.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

I agree with Hauptman. This is especially true if, during your war with Civ A, you end up with the same amount of land but less overall troops.

The other instance that catches their atterntion is if, during your war with Civ A, you expand and leave a border somewhere less protected than other places. They just love weak spots in your defense.
      If you aren't confused,
      You don't understand.

Comment

They are probably declaring war consecutively because, as you say, you are lagging behind in tech and units, etc. This makes you look like a good target in the AIs eyes.
        A ship at sea is its own world. To be the captain of a ship is to be the unquestioned ruler of that world and requires all of the leadership skills of a prince or minister.

Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing, sooner than war

Comment

I get 'Dogpiled' far more often than 'Tag-teamed'.
          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

The you're weak argument, therefore the AIs either dogpile or tagteam is easily disproved. They don't do it to each other, and they do it when your power is fairly high. There is no way I believe it is not a programmed response to help the AI.

Mike

Comment

AI dogpile each other all the time in my game.

im literally pressured to push my military to the edge to get the "target of the day" before its too late
              :-p

Comment

In my experience the AI would tag-team and dog-pile each other very often. As soon as there is no more land for expansion, the AI would try to expand and the only question is where. AI is more likely to declare war on humans than other AI (that is scripted to compensate for the lack of I in AI), therefore one would often see tag-teams and dog-piles.

I don't think tag-team is scripted however. The different AIs do not really work with each other against you, just against you. Try using diplomacy to see if you can get them to fight each other as opposed to go after you.

Comment

Dog-piling is common in the games I play, with aggressive AI. Whether they dog-pile/tag-team me or one of the AI depends on my strength and position versus the ones with a military built to fight. However, programming code into the game to get them to actively trade off which civ "beats up" on the human would be very complex and usually unnecessary.

What usually happens is a couple of the AI tech like crazy while a couple of others build big armies and the rest muddle along. So at a minimum, I get stuck behind in techs that they trade to each other, but not to me. Worse if one of these aggressive ones is next to me, as they tend to go from friendly or pleased to a furious enemy in one turn without any real predictability.
                  No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                  "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

A general rule of thumb: The AI has only one, real enemy: you. Consider the wars between the different civs as civil wars. In the end, you have no real friends as you have to beat them all.

Comment

Mike, again you stridently assert a position that is easily disproven. Lighten up. The game, especially BTS, is a real challenge compared to earlier versions. This does not require that the AI be permitted to play unfairly compared to humans in a multiplayer game. The designers and testers worked hard to assure the game is a challenge without the kind of "cheats" that had marked earlier civs. No need for paranoia, the game really does require concentration and comprehension to play well. Rather unique, actually.
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                      X