Civ under Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ under Linux

I was wondering is anyone would know if the BtS executable would take command line arguments (from a command prompt).

I have been trying to get BtS work on Cedega, but without much success. Everything would start and the game would load initially but just as it needs to show the intro, it crashes. With some command lines I might be able to disable intros/movies and get the thing to work.

Thanks

Have you checked the civilization.ini file? I think you can disable videos and intro there.

If you ever manage to get BtS running fine under Linux, please let me know and you'll be my hero. That means I can finally scrap windows (Civ is my last, big issue before I can throw windows out)

Comment

Originally posted by MoonWolf
      Have you checked the civilization.ini file? I think you can disable videos and intro there.

If you ever manage to get BtS running fine under Linux, please let me know and you'll be my hero. That means I can finally scrap windows (Civ is my last, big issue before I can throw windows out)
      I just found the ,ini file. It takes me some time to find all the folders.

I already got Heroes of MM V and STALKER running under Linux, if I manage to get Civ IV I will stop using windows at all

Actually on various forums people have made Civ BtS work, however, with Linux every case is different, so far it does not work for me.

Comment

It does work for me - although, for BtS, I need Wine, not Cedega. Wine seems to have better compatibility lately, anyway.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I might have to try a clean install of wine and not use cedega.

Solver, did you get it by copying the windows installation or did you install everything via wine. IIRC I could install the game with wine, it just never ran afterwards.

Comment

I did not do anything special, I installed everything via Wine and it worked. Civ4 vanilla worked perfectly fine. For BtS I had some problems where it refused to install originally but I got to install, and it also ran fine.

The game itself runs fine with a small amount of minor issues. "Init audio" takes a long time at startup, for example, but other than that, there's hardly anything to mention. Be sure to check out the Wine database:

Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I just realize I had wine 9.59 as opposed to wine 9.60. All the issues seem to be resolved in the new version. I am using ubuntu and there is no 9.60 auto-update yet. I wonder if I should try installing it as third party or wait until it come up as autoupdate.

Thanks Solver.

Comment

Q: Could I install CIV ont oa FAT32 external HD and what would I have to do to get it to run on a) windows XP OS and b) Linux server?
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

An external hard drive is no different from an internal hard drive to Windows... and FAT32 isn't relevant to CIV installation (unless you're installing on a Mac?)
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I feel insulted you think I would dare buy a mac Snoopy.
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

You didn't have to ask a silly question either, but what can I do?
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

A question that leads to increased knowledge that can not be arrived at with prior logical analysis is never silly.

Wasting precious university server resources to play CIV would be silly, however.

Comment

Maybe it's time to open this discussion again.

Haven't had time to try Wine and BtS lately, but if we are getting closer to get it going, I'm thrilled! What graphics card are you Linux/ BTS guys running? I'm currently using only my laptop and it has a ATI X1600, but fortunately AMD/ ATI is making a big effort with Linux-drivers these days.

Comment

I got it, it is alive.

I had to get the latest version of wine 9.60, and had to add one line to the kubuntu apt. Updated, and then installed by following the directions on the web page posted by Solver (thanks for that).

I don't even need no-cd crack, passes security and everything. Globe view does not work, but I am not using that anyway. There is no progress bar for building and growth of cities which is minor annoyance.

RFC worked just fine too. The only problem was that sound died upon loading the mod, I will have to find a way to load the mod from the start and not restart the application. (I have experianced sound problems with other games, could be generic problem with the driver and/or wine).

I just got my first RFC UHV with Babylon under Linux.

Comment

Working...
                            X