• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm not sure. How do I check if I have a slot

and where could I download the directx downloader

Comment

DirectX can be downloaded from Microsoft, or gamesforwindows.com

If you know your make+model of computer, just post them here or google them to see what slots it comes with. Otherwise...
      The AGP or PCI-X slot is a slot at the top of your PCI slots that is not quite the same size as them and usually a bit further away from the end of the case (so, 'forwards' towards the front of the case). It usually has plastic locking side levers (whereas normal PCI or PCI-x1 do not). It won't have anything in it (unless you have a video card, which you presumably don't).

AGP is the most likely unless you have a computer <2 years old. If you bought it around 2 years ago, it could go either way. If it's <1.5 years old, it is probably PCI express. However, you'd have to know for sure, as they are not cross compatible

AGP port is the top port in this picture (usually brown, but this varies):

PCIEx16:

They are different, but it can be hard to tell which ... pay close attention to the size of the 'smaller' part versus the 'larger' part. In theory the board will be inscribed with PCIE or AGP, as these pics are, but this is not always true.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I bought my computer less than a week ago. The name of it is V50136 - Optima Intel Core 2 Duo . I think, I bought it on shopnbc. So from what you say I probably do have a slot. So what does something like this cost for a good one and a decent one. And which would you suguest

Comment

Hmmm, I don't actually see much in the way of information on that model as it looks to be a shopNBC specific model. I'd guess it has PCIEx16 but I wouldn't guarantee it.

You could get anywhere from $50 to $150 depending on how 'decent' you wanted. I haven't priced them in a while but IIRC either an 8600GT (nvidia) or an ATI 2400 (don't recall which version) is probably best price-performance.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I just bought a new one last week Snoopy, Nvidia (BFG) 9600 which if I understand the reviews correctly is basically a repackaged 8800. But anyway it ran me about $170 on sale at BestBuy. Runs CIV like a dream. Of course you DO need a PCI express slot which I wonder if laptops would have.

Wodan

Comment

8800GT is the best, I think you an get a decent one quite cheaply nowadays
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

9600 =| 8800GT. I'll let Aeson spend the time to explain it though.
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X