Silly question about power plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theben
    I went ahead and built a few select coal plants. I gotta say that it's a helluva boost. But almost every city I built them in is now slowly dying.
    So hurry up and crank out those units FTW!

(Or, hurry up and get environmentalism or recycling plants to negate the coal plant's impact...)
    "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Personally I find that with BTS, how widespread to make coal power plants depends upon if you've founded Sushis (or I guess Cerial Grains).

With Sushi's your population can naturally be much higher but the unhealthiness from pop is also a factor and for me at least limits the use of coal power plants. Without Sushi's though I find I can spam coal plants.
      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
      Templar Science Minister
      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Unhealthiness is just a decrease in food, however; it's not a factor otherwise. I'd think Sushi would allow MORE power plants, thus, unless the population you give up is worth more than the gain from the power plants...
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
          Personally I find that with BTS, how widespread to make coal power plants depends upon if you've founded Sushis (or I guess Cerial Grains).

With Sushi's your population can naturally be much higher but the unhealthiness from pop is also a factor and for me at least limits the use of coal power plants. Without Sushi's though I find I can spam coal plants.
          Coal plants are always going to be worth 2 unhealthiness. Sushi just raises the point at which your city's population growth will grind to a halt. (Cereal Mills does the same thing, but generally sushi will generate more food because of the greater number of water based food resources versus the land-based resources that qualify for Cereal.)

But neither does you any good if your strategy is centered on State Property....
          "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Being over the health limit also eliminates the possibily of the We Love The ___ Day in that city, and by the modern era the cumulative maintenance savings is noticable.

Myself, I normally start considering the health limit a place to stop growth when Grocers become adviable.

I can also point out a few various cities in my empires that even forges aren't worth having (city producing 3 or fewer hammers).

Foruntately such cities have become less common in BTS with the AP hammer bonuses and also certain random events that sometimes yield more hammers.
            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Certainly I don't suggest them in every city; but there is a point at which they're worth it, health limit/wltkd or not, and that point is lower than you'd assume.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
              X