Favorite map types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite map types

I was looking to play some different map types for a change and I was wondering what map types does everyone most like to play? What is your favorite? What do you play most often?

I find that I like to play inland sea more than any map type. I also like to play hemispheres and lakes. Recently I have started playing global highlands and I find that those maps are fairly interesting with a lot of natural but still very random barriers/choke points.

Arboria is nice because of everyone having a roughly equal start.

Rainforest is the same thing, but there are more diverse terrains over the map.

Both of theese have la small bunch of ressources available to everyone (the same ones) and all the others are rare, and dispatched over the map.

Terra map type is still my favourite, because of the new-world "race" (as a human, you will just beeline Astronomy).

Inland sea is nice, yeah, but there is too much ressource disparity among the starts.

Pangea is a no-brainer map, and i don't really like it.

Comment

I like Terra best.

Or archipellago.
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

I often play continents or archipelago. Pangea could be ok, but I hate the spy-spamming with all the poisoned water that happens all the time (yes, I know I can build spies, EP etc. but I feel it's too much used and the option "stop spying or declare war" from Civ2 should really be in the game when you catch an enemy spy doing something serious)

Comment

After my first fumbling game (I play the Vanilla version), I have only played "Fractal Map", which makes the start more unpredictable and challenging in my opinion. But I look forward to try some of the other options out - and who knows, even a Scenario, although I haven´t tried that since CIV 2.

ybrevo

Comment

MP, play mostly a customized pangaea (customized for proper sizes per player count). I actually prefer big+small for MP, if you don't mind the occasional lousy small island start.

SP, probably either big+small, continents, or pangaea depending on what sort of game I want (mixed, teching, or war, in that order).
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Depends on my mood. Fractal, Pangaea, Hemispheres are my most common choices.
              And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Best map, without question is
                -Archipelago
                -Snaky Continents
                -Low Sea Level
                -2 Extra AI (to fill in the land from the low sea level)

You can get anything from a load of big island chains through to pangea maps, but you don't know till you go exploring.

Real adventure maps they are!
                www.neo-geo.com

Comment

I like most and play random map sometimes. I guess Terra maps are my least favorite because I feel it gives me too much of an advantage.

Comment

Pangaea, Terra, BigandSmall, and Arboria.
                    You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Fractal FTW...though sometimes it does spit out crappy maps.
                      For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Comment

Continents for SP. Its interesting to have separate contacts for while.

Pangea for MP cause Continents can get quite unfair. My friends prefer hub and donut but I like the more natural and not so balanced and symmetric aspect of pangea better. Balanced start is good but exact/almost same start is kinda bland.
                        :-p

Comment

Always Pangaea. I don't really like hunting for space to settle cities. Also it's nice to be able to scout the entire world from the start of the game.

Comment

Fractal is my 90% map choice. It's kinda a good randomizer. Sometimes it's pangea, sometimes much archipilago.
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Big and small used to be favorite. But with Sid's I switched to random # Continents to lessen the seafood resources.

High sea level makes ships more valuable units.
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                              X