Earliest expansion vs. earliest wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earliest expansion vs. earliest wonders

Assuming your starting techs are agriculture and the wheel, and you are neither imperialist nor industrious, what are your (very detailled) build and tech orders if you want to get quickly up to eight citys and get all ancient wonders including the pyramids ?

I've noticed that even on noble difficulty, it seems really hard to get stonhenge if you build a settler before it, even if you have stone in your second city, having stone in the first one seems to be the only thing that helps.

I usually get up to 3 pop building warriors (or workboats if needed) while researching mining and BW, whip from 3 to 2 pop for the first worker and chop another one while researching mysticism.

Once i got mysticism i start building stonehenge, but make the city grow to 3 or 4 pop, then build a settler (chopping that one) and try to finish stonehenge after that settler.

My first build in the second city is usually a grenary, or a barracks if i don't have pottery by the turn he is settled (that's my research after myst). Grenarys are my top priority build everywhere in order to get the max out of slavery, and i often whip from 3 to 2 for that building.

Great Wall is my next priority, and i'll build it in the second city in order to prevent Great Spies in my capital, sometimes i get it, but sometimes it's built a couple of turns after i finish stonehenge (i've seen games where it was built before SH !).

I try to find windows for building settlers and workers in all my citys, but priority goes to wonders as soon as they are available by tech. I usually go for Maconry, Polytheism & Priesthood once i got Sailing (saves time for not needing roads), hoping i may get judaism after theese, but i almost never get it. I oracle metalcasting and the go for writing, mathematics and CoL if i don't have a religion yet. If i have, i'll go for Calendar if i have 2 or more ressources needing it, for currency otherwise.

Well that's it. I usually get 8 citys OR some wonders, but it really seems incompatible, especially if i don't have marble & stone .

Originally posted by Vampgelus
    Assuming your starting techs are agriculture and the wheel, and you are neither imperialist nor industrious, what are your (very detailled) build and tech orders if you want to get quickly up to eight citys and get all ancient wonders including the pyramids ?
    I wouldn't even bother with most of the ancient wonders. I certainly would never go for Stonehenge, that's a pointless wonder IMO. If you really want some early culture in your cities, just play Creative. The only one I like going for is the Oracle because of the free tech and because it gives me some priest points so I can build a shrine earlier. Wonder whoring is a trap that most good players avoid, it just slows down your development for very little benefit.

Comment

I would agree for some wonders, like Arthemis Temple, but you just can't say Pyramids are not worth their hammers, or Great Lighthouse on coastal maps. Stonhenge is about the best early wonders, because it avoids you 90 for each city you get (marathon), and get's you a third of the creative trait (just like Parthenon gives you the half of PHI trait, GW the third of IMP trait, etc...). It allows you to take traits you cannot emulate by wonders or civics (like CHA or EXP). CHA makes Stonhenge even more profitable, and if you got a UB monument, it's a must-have.

But that's not the point. My question was how to combine REX and ancient wonders.

Comment

Agreed. Pyramids, Oracle, and the Great lighthouse are the only early wonders that interest me. And these will depend on my early terrain.

Once I have a vibrant civ/economy, then I'll treat myself to a few select wonders that compliment the strat I'm using that game.

Wonders are made to be captured. The extra units you can build instead make it easier.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, but declaring war on someone means -1 in diplomacy for almost everyone... so if I capture every single wonder, i'll be hated by everybody. If i build them by myself, no one will care about.

Comment

Early wonders aren't worth it, generally, because of the decrease in growth required to get them. IND and/or stone/marble makes a few of them worth it, sometimes, but even then you have to get at least one GOOD city out first (ie, able to produce more settlers of its own), and not be in a must-rush position.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

'IF' I want to build early wonders, then I start with a worker so I can get some specials hooked up and if I have enough trees to warrant it I will research BW so I can chop settlers and more workers. I never build Stonehenge though. My earliest wonder would be Pyramids. I usually play on Emperor or Immortal and if I don't settle fast there isn't any room to settle. Cities win this game, not wonders so adequate settlers are ALWAYS the first priority. Only if I have enough production left over will I build wonders. Often the first wonder I build is the Great Library.

Comment

stonehenge is far from the best early wonder, its effect is marginal at best. i avoid it simply because it comes so early, building stonehenge means i'm not building settlers. in the early stage, i have hardly ever encountered a situation where a wonder is more profitable than expansion, and have never encountered one where a wonder is more profitable than expansion by conquest.

Comment

One early wonder I almost always end up building is the Statue of Zeus. I usually luck out and have Ivory by the time I want to build it and I can almost always finish it even if I don't beeline to Aesthetics early. For some reason the AI doesn't prioritize the SoZ despite it being one of the most powerful wonders in the game.

Interestingly enough the AI seems to highly value the Mausoleum (which is a very good wonder but nowhere as strong as the SoZ). I believe I have actually only built it once or twice.

Comment

Although I'll try for Stonehenge sometimes, mostly it's not worth it. Other cities can slave 1 pop to get a monument.

Generally I try to get Lighthouse and Great Wall; Lighthouse for the Merchant->Metalcasting followed by Oracle->Machinery. GW in my 2nd city cuz I play raging barbs and they can be annoying. Oracle helps me get priests also.

I will also try to get Artemis and Great Library in my GP city. Those free priests/scientists really add up.

Pyramids in 2nd city if possible, and Masoullos(sp?) eventually for +50% GAs.
                    If I can get any more wonders I'll put them in my GP city, with GE wonders in my Pyramids city. Wonders, IMO, are mainly for Great People and what they can do.

However all of the above is dependent on my situation. If it comes down to it I'll take extra cities instead, building my own and invading my neighbors.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Henge is, most of the time, an interesting choice, because if you can expand fast enough, it is sometimes just possible to get it in a second city on Prince and below by chopping forests/working mined plains hill at size 1 and not building many units prior to the settler etc. Above prince it isn't possible and in the capital it is pretty iffy unless you have stone.

Oracle depends on what tech you can get with it. It's worth more the later you can get it, obviously, but then you will have expanded early and be able to afford it more easily later on...it's a balancing act against the other civs.

Pyramids costs so much it should be ignored unless you are industrious or have stone, and even then depends on surounding terrain and if you have something to rush (killing an AI early on is better than the pyramids, if you know how to leverage the extra land).

GW...I can never make up my mind, depends on the barbs. If few barbs or I have a large army to rush someone, the barbs just are free XP, so the wall hurts me. If I'm trying to build a billion cities then the GW helps me as I dont need as large an army. The Gspy from it can also be worth a lot of techs...depends on how you want to play the game, SP/MP.

The rest aren't really early game wonders though...
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

If you REALLY want to build all eight ancient wonders, your going to have to play it like an OCC until those are complete.
                        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                        Templar Science Minister
                        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

You'd need stone and marble, and I'd probably only try it as Augustus and keep on restarting until I found a stone plains hill with a decent food resource in the fat cross. Go settler first and then start on Henge, so you can keep on expanding, and split the wonders between the first and second cities. Going to have to run a light military, so an islands map is probably preferable...but not a necessity.
                          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

For me, unless I am playing a civ with a monument UB (Egypt, Ethiopia, and the Native Americans I believe), I won't try to build Stonehenge unless I have stone, and nothing else to build. The +8 and +2 Great Prophets are nice to have, but not vital for me. Plus it obsoletes relatively early - Astronomy.
                            And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Vampgelus
                              Yeah, but declaring war on someone means -1 in diplomacy for almost everyone... so if I capture every single wonder, i'll be hated by everybody. If i build them by myself, no one will care about.
                              If you've conquered the world, what do you care if they hate you?

them!
                              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
                              X