No announcement yet.

playing monarch got great general help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• playing monarch got great general help!

hi,

I'm playing civ 4 and i got a great general in the midst of a war with brennus i'm sitting bull and it's a bout 900 ad

i'm not sure what to do with him. any help would be appreciated!!

I don't play at Monarch level (I'm at Noble), but I expect that if you provided some more detail -- e.g. a screenshot, or even a save game -- it would better help those who are willing and able to assist you in (re-)forming some strategy.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

does this mean...

...i have to scower the manuals?

Comment

well

My skill and patience level is around prince or monarch.

obviously at this level brennus has more units than i do.

but, I have a brain and he's got ai toting them around...he already killed off 7 trebuchulants taking over one longbow perched on a city hill. so, is there

my question: Is there something specific i ought to do with the great general that spawned? I don't really want to put him in my capital for a little xtra xp on military units...and am not sure about the 'attaching' him to other units thingy.

maybe i take a screen shot for you

later...

~shmity72

Comment

screens

screen shot here

Comment

screen

screen shot of general

Comment

Well, your two options at this point are Military Trainer in your future Heoric Epic city or Lead troops. (Military Academy is half the game way based on the units I see in the screenshots.)

What I normally do with the first one in BTS is assign him to a single unit with the most XP so that as long as your careful with that unit you will be able to build West Point when the time comes. (You need a level 6 unit for West Point in BTS)
              1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
              Templar Science Minister
              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

thank you

thank you for the help...i think i will make him a military leader guy in the city, so as to pump out more xp on the units

Comment

You don't need to have a level 6 unit at the time you build West Point, you just need to have had one.

Other than that I'd say you're situation looks pretty grim.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

grim indeed

well ...my situation went from bad to ok...to down the toilet.

finally the program encountered a windows error...and i now have surrendered playing on monarch for awhile.

prince dificulty here i come!

thnx

Comment

Unlike in Civ3, I find attaching a general to a single unit (Civ4) pretty useless. Now I have him join the city.
                      Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MyOlde
                        Unlike in Civ3, I find attaching a general to a single unit (Civ4) pretty useless. Now I have him join the city.
                        Depends on what you do with it. It's pretty useless for city raiders I guess, because they die too often. Unless you let the other units in the stack attack first, but then what's the use of your überunit. But it can be nice to put on mounted units for a really fast and strong interception unit. You can pillage or capture workers with it.

But the greatest use for units is probably Medic III. This is really an extremely useful promotion. You don't need many either, and you'll never have to attack with it, so it should be safe from harm.

Comment

The first one I usually turn into a triple healer and an extra movement point. This way I can more easily get a 6th level promotion and help keep my forward troops moving and not wasting too much time healing. I'll only attack with this unit in mopping up situations. But it is annoying when you lose that 99% combat. Unless I lose that unit, all future generals are attached to my military city.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, I also like to use the first GG to create a 'Super Medic' unit.

I have also put a GG on a battleship - great naval raider.

For your main military city, use GGs to build Military Academy, then settle for XP. Add Heroic Epic and Iron Works to pump out strong units every few turns.
                            And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

sometimes I'll delay choosing the military city if i have an aggressive neighbor that has been at war most of the game. Always nice to take their cap and find 5 settled GGs.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X