Threat Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threat Down!

Anyone have trouble with bears? I seem to get a lot of them in my games and they can take out a forestII explorer fairly easy. In fact, I tend to lose all my explorers to bears or hoardes of lions and panthers before real barbarians even show up.

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Man I hate bears.......

Don't think I have been seeing more of them though, but the things do a mighty fine job of chewing up my scouts if they get the chance.
    I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Love the pic.
      You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

I always seem to suffer a bear when one of my scouts is healing. I'm sure previous to BtS, the healing unit would wake up as an alert - but not any more. Now I have to pathetically check my healing units lest a bloody bear creep up on him.
        Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

By explorers I assume you mean scouts...

Solution is to not build scouts, build warriors or archers. Give them Woodsman II or Guerilla II.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben

Solution is to not build scouts, build warriors or archers. Give them Woodsman II or Guerilla II.
            Well, Warriors are much better against animals and barbs, but Scouts are better hut poppers and faster. If they have sentry, you can sometimes avoid bears.
            And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Theben

I don't build them. I start with one scout and may get some more from huts. But even my warriors tremble in the sight of bears.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Just research Bear Husbandry and teach them to dance.

Comment

If you want to play on safe with scouts, only move 1 step per turn. If you then encounter a bear, move back.

Scouts get better results from huts!
                  You could also combine a scout and a warrior, the warrior for protection, the scout for better hut results.
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

And watch for your scouts when they are healing. If a bear lumbers up then move away. If you meet another animal then that it just unlucky.

The difficult thing is to get to Forest II in the first place. Once you're there it's a lot easier to run away from animals.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                      You could also combine a scout and a warrior, the warrior for protection, the scout for better hut results.
                      I could be wrong, but seems to me that a scout and a warrior have equal strength vs a bear. Actually the scout would usually be stronger, if he sticks to forests and jungles.

Wodan

Comment

The real problem is that bears eats both of 'em easy for breakfast.

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Yeah, usually. Sometimes you get lucky, especially if you manage to hop to a forest hill.

Most of the time, I do Cybershy's one-step trick. Though, by the time bears show up I've scouted most of the territory I wanted to scout anyway.

Wodan

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11

I could be wrong, but seems to me that a scout and a warrior have equal strength vs a bear. Actually the scout would usually be stronger, if he sticks to forests and jungles.

Wodan
                            Bonuses are to base strength - so Scout is
                            1+100%(animal)+50%(forest) or 2.5 (plus bonus vs. barbs)
                            Warrior is
                            2+50%(forest) or 3.0 (plus whatever the bonus is vs. Barbarians)

Warrior is never worse relative to an equivalently promoted scout in a combat situation.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

Bonuses are to base strength - so Scout is
                              1+100%(animal)+50%(forest) or 2.5 (plus bonus vs. barbs)
                              Warrior is
                              2+50%(forest) or 3.0 (plus whatever the bonus is vs. Barbarians)

Warrior is never worse relative to an equivalently promoted scout in a combat situation.
                              Who said they were worse?

If there are no bonuses, then the scout is str 2 while the warrior is str 2. So, that's equivalent in my book.

Also, it seems to me that a scout is probably easier to get promotions, because of the movement and the fact that the game spawns animals pretty evenly across all the fog on the map. This means that more movement will enable the scout to get more and faster "freebies" you get from the early wolves and lions, before bear show up.

Plus, without a doubt, a scout is easier to forest hop. So, while yes the warrior will get a slightly better benefit from the forest, the warrior is also much more likely to be stuck in between and thus not have the forest at all. So, it would be scout 2.5 vs warrior 2.0.

Wodan

Comment

Working...
                              X