Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why aren't there true sphere maps for civ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why aren't there true sphere maps for civ?

Why don’t we have true sphere map scripts for civ4? Or even maps?

I mean sure the projection looks weird, as does the minimap if you use it, but the map might be fun to play. I know I would enjoy it. By using both X and Y wrapping you can make a map with the north pole on the center of the map and the southern pole at all the edges.

Same as in this UN logo just that you further deform it by adapting it to a square.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

You know that by comparing it in any way to the UN you just lost my support...

Comment

Heraclitis

What's with the string in the middle of the word aren’t? in the title?
      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Have no idea how it got there, I typed a '.
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Marcusem78
          You know that by comparing it in any way to the UN you just lost my support...
          Zee stupid Americans...

Was that the response you were hoping for?

Comment

I'm pretty sure there are some such maps. There's one map scripts which generates some of these, but of course they aren't Earth.
            I've made some Earth maps that way myself. The problems are:
            - If you wrap around, it's still a torus, not a sphere. This can be bypassed by putting ice where the antarctic would be.
            - Southern hemisphere becomes huge. On the one hand, it's fine because the southern seas become interesting, on the other, well, Africa has to be terribly distorted if you want it to be near Brasil, and you'll juggle with the size of Arabia too.
            - North Atlantic is tiny, and on such maps, Alaska is too easily (early) conquered by Asiatic civs like Japan or Russia.
            - I have no idea where the maps I made may now be.
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Corrected... I think that's a unicode-introduced error.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

This is actually a good idea for an Earth map. The only down side is that the map would be very distorted at the edges.... Not sure of a good way to fix that. Maybe decreasing movement costs for squares as you went south would be one way...but there'd still be the problem that the southern hemisphere would have more squares to play around with in terms of land than the northern hemisphere types would have.

I think someone actually did make a polar projection Earth map a while back. It might be on CivFanatics. (I'd check myself, but for some reason, I still cannot connect to that website from home. )

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to create a continents map script that was both toroidal and created ice/tundra near the center and on the edges of the map.
                "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

And here's a much better polar projection.
                  Attached Files

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Actually the above pic is what made me want a good polar projection for civ. Playing a cold war mod on it would be sweet.

Comment

If that's the case, you should try playing DEFCON.

-Matt Groenig

Comment

I already have. Love the game.

Comment

Working...
                        X