Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this true about the early rush and the AI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this true about the early rush and the AI?

Quoting from Sisiutil's guide about the early rush:

... you can expect the number of defenders in the first targeted city to increase by at least the number of turns it will take your stack to reach the city from just outside its borders—in other words, the AI will add one defender each turn that your units are on the move after the declaration of war, minimum.

What? The AI just gets free defensive units at the rate of one per turn the moment you declare war? (That certainly explains how there are suddenly so many defensive units in a target city where only moments before there seemed to be considerably fewer.) Is this true? Is it only on certain skill levels?

Besides moving up units from back cities, the AI is much better at using the "whip" now to add units to cities under threat.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The AI does not get any free defensive units in this matter. You should expect the AI to produce units at that rate (due to slavery etc.) and/or reinforce from its core; it won't necessarily actually do it, but it is certainly capable of it, so you should be prepared. This changes if you're talking about a size-1 city far away from the AI's center.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Re: Is this true about the early rush and the AI?

Originally posted by NFIH
        Quoting from Sisiutil's guide about the early rush:

... you can expect the number of defenders in the first targeted city to increase by at least the number of turns it will take your stack to reach the city from just outside its borders—in other words, the AI will add one defender each turn that your units are on the move after the declaration of war, minimum.

What? The AI just gets free defensive units at the rate of one per turn the moment you declare war? (That certainly explains how there are suddenly so many defensive units in a target city where only moments before there seemed to be considerably fewer.) Is this true? Is it only on certain skill levels?

Comment

That reminds me of something else – excuse me for the hijack – but does whip or draft unhappiness carry after a city has been pacified. I’ve seen this before and it seems nonsensical that I can be the cause of unhappiness not only as a foreign power but also as the cause of historic grudges for which the former ruler was responsible.

I should be getting unwhip/undraft happiness!!!

Comment

Re: Is this true about the early rush and the AI?

Originally posted by NFIH
            Is this true?
            No

Comment

Couerdelion, I'm sure that whip unhappiness at least is preserved. I remember many cities which upon capture are suffering from -2 or -3 'we can't forgive the cruel oppression'. Its ceratinly a pain and frustrating - not only have you had to fight the troops but you get the unhappiness too.

Not sure though that it is unrealistic. The peasants probably think that all lords are as bad as each other.

Comment

It's not unrealistic, I'm not sure it's a good gameplay element though - it's encouraging whipping right before losing a city even more than it's already encouraged.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                  It's not unrealistic, I'm not sure it's a good gameplay element though - it's encouraging whipping right before losing a city even more than it's already encouraged.
                  Bah, that's what they get for removing scorched earth as a true possibility. I'll give em miserably unhappy size one junk piles since I can't disband.
                  Not that it comes up often
                  One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                  You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Working...
                  X