Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game speed setting between Epic & Marathon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game speed setting between Epic & Marathon?

Hello,

I am looking for a game speed mod that is slower than epic but faster than marathon.

Thank you!

You can use a text editor to edit the gamespeedinfo.xml file to do this.

Wodan

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11
      You can use a text editor to edit the gamespeedinfo.xml file to do this.

Wodan
      I was hoping a mod might be available that already does this. Honestly, I have not tried modding a game since "Warlords III" and I'm concerned I might screw something up.

-Arboris

Comment

Uhmmmrrrmm... CFC is the best place to look for mods.

There, I said it. Now I'll see if I get in trouble.

Anyway, it's not too hard to mod yourself. If you're worried about screwing it up, simply make a copy of the file before you muck with it.

Wodan

Comment

BtS, Warlords, or Vanilla? One of us could probably mod it for you.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
            BtS, Warlords, or Vanilla? One of us could probably mod it for you.
            BTS

Comment

Okay, try this.

1. Navigate to the folder C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\GameInfo (or wherever you installed BtS, if not default)
              2. Make a backup copy of the file Civ4GameSpeedInfo.xml
              3. Unzip the attached file and place it in that folder, in place of the above file.
              4. Epic will now be a new speed around halfway between the old Epic and Marathon (1200 turns, instead of 750 / 1500)

I pretty much just took all of the 150s and made them 225s (300 is in marathon), and similar for other numbers. I make no claim that this speed is in any way balanced - it's probably not. You will probably find you want to edit this file yourself and modify some of the settings - it's the second portion of the file.

I haven't tested it, either, so let me know if something doesn't work right.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank you!

I will let you know.

-Arboris

Comment

Snoopy369,

No problems with the file. I am a bit concerned about it being balanced but I will fiddle with it and see if I can balance it. Thanks for taking the time to edit the file for me; it gives me a solid foundation to work with.

-Arboris

Comment

Attachment: civ4gamespeedinfo.zip
                    This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Comment

I'd say it certainly won't be balanced - Marathon is not balanced either, for that matter. More than likely you will want to adjust some things to be relatively 'faster' and some to be relatively 'slower' - Solver could probably give you a good idea of that I imagine, or some of the other Marathon players who are used to playing it and know what seems to be off. Some of it is personal preference, of course...

My suspicions are that Units should probably take somewhat longer to build relative to Buildings (or you will end up with way too many units). You might want to make worker actions take a bit more time also (since workers still move the same amount, so the slower speeds have worker actions take somewhat less time even when straight doubling them or whatever).

Comment

Here are the different modifiers for the game speeds laid out for easier comparison:
                        (taken from Anion's BTS Reference Guide)

It's obvious that not everything scales linearly. You'll have to play several games to find a good balance.
                        I'd be interested in what you come up with, as I'm also looking to try something between the two slower speeds.

Comment

If you do create a speed between Epic and Marathon, what can you call it? What feels longer than Epic but shorter than Marathon? "Trilogy"? "Root Canal"? "Graduation Speech?" "Rush Hour"? The possibilites seem endless, even if the game doesn't.
                          If you aren't confused,
                          You don't understand.

Comment

How about "10K"...

Comment

Working...
                            X