Mansa's folly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mansa's folly

If you ever find yourself despairing at how to overcome the bonuses the AI gets, think of this picture.

Mansa has spent a long time building 16 (count 'em - sixteen) caravels in that little size 2 tundra city - and they have nowhere to go!

It isn't what you have that counts, it's what you do with it.
    Attached Files
    Never give an AI an even break.

I only see 6 But agree, it's stupid how they often build ships locked in like that. Hopefully a bug that will be fixed. Will be easy XP's for you upcoming subs though

Comment

Originally posted by MoonWolf
      I only see 6 But agree, it's stupid how they often build ships locked in like that. Hopefully a bug that will be fixed. Will be easy XP's for you upcoming subs though
      I see all 16.
      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er

I see all 16.
        How do you know that those aren't triremes?

Comment

I saw the same thing a few games ago but it was all destroyers.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
            I saw the same thing a few games ago but it was all destroyers.
            SubProof!
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

I've played a bit further and that little city is responsible for something like 17 caravels and a dozen destroyers (presumably upgrades). Crazy!
              Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

At least they are out of the city and can blockade it if someone else takes it from Mansa!
                In my current game, Isabella has built some nice ships in a city whose only access to water is covered with ice, so they can't even leave the city. I think at least this could be checked when building units. The screenshot situation is slightly harder for a program to detect.
                Clash of Civilization team member
                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                  At least they are out of the city and can blockade it if someone else takes it from Mansa!
                  In my current game, Isabella has built some nice ships in a city whose only access to water is covered with ice, so they can't even leave the city. I think at least this could be checked when building units. The screenshot situation is slightly harder for a program to detect.
                  BTW, would be great if we could build naval units (and buildings) on a lakeside, especially if you can build a fort or place a city to link it to the ocean...

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                    Not really. You only need a build-ship-flag for each city and a little check when a city is founded. The check can be a standard BFS algorithm which just counts the water tiles that normal ship can reach. If you do not want the AI to cheat and consider the fog of war then it gets a lot more complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Vampgelus

BTW, would be great if we could build naval units (and buildings) on a lakeside, especially if you can build a fort or place a city to link it to the ocean...
                      If the lake is not fresh water, then you can and you can aslo link it with a fort or two. Or do you mean that if it's linked, then you can build ships and buildings?

Comment

Suppose you have a sea, a lake and a lake but not sea city. Now you connect the 2 using a fort. You may however still not build ships in the lake city even though it has access to the sea. Trade routes are also still treated as inland.

Comment

That's true with a fresh-water lake. If the lake is a certain size, the game treats it as salt water - which allows the building of ships -, and it's quite possible to plop down a city or fort in a place that allows lake vessels out into the ocean or vice versa.
                          Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Working...
                          X