How fast do you loose beakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fast do you loose beakers?

If you change the tech you are going for, how long will it take for you to start loosing bekers already invested into the uncompleted tech? Is the equation for this known? How does it change if the game is marathon or epic? If you later research the tech for one or a few turns, it’s the counter until you again start loosing invested beakers, reset or do you start loosing immediately after switching away from it?
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

You do not lose any beakers by changing research, at any game length. No turn limit, all your beakers stay 'beaked'.

Comment

If you're researching tech A, and switch to B, do the beakers stay with A or move to B?
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
        If you're researching tech A, and switch to B, do the beakers stay with A or move to B?
        Stay with A
        www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
          You do not lose any beakers by changing research, at any game length. No turn limit, all your beakers stay 'beaked'.
          Are you sure I seem to rember some load screen advice mentioning something about my people forgetting...
          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
            Are you sure I seem to rember some load screen advice mentioning something about my people forgetting...
            Yes, I am sure.
            Go ahead, test it out yourself. Do a couple turns at one that isn't a priority, note the number of beakers achieved, and switch back to your 'true path.' Dozens of turns later (marathonically speaking), hover over your test tech and confirm those beakers are still there ... and also confirm it when you resume researching it.

Your memory was probably flashing back to Civ3, though possibly to a Civ4 event.

ADDENDUM: Go to your Civilopedia; at the bottom of the Top topics list is 'Hints'. They are all there.
            Last edited by Jaybe; March 14, 2008, 17:48.

Comment

It may have not always been this way, hence the load screen advice... Certainly beakers do decay, and though I don't recall it's certainly possible in early civ1 (or even civ1 alpha/beta) it might have been otherwise, and then changed for balance reasons.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I recall thinking that beakers decayed too. I'm pretty sure there *was* a load screen hint that refered to that. And I'm definitely not thinking of civ 3 or any previous civ (none of which I've played recently enough to have much memory of their particular rules).

Comment

I think hammers decay, not beakers.
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Hammers decay, I don't believe beakers have ever decayed in Civ 4
                    www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ari
                      I recall thinking that beakers decayed too. I'm pretty sure there *was* a load screen hint that refered to that. And I'm definitely not thinking of civ 3 or any previous civ (none of which I've played recently enough to have much memory of their particular rules).

I'm quite certain that I saw it in civ4 too.

Perhaps it was like that in vanilla civ4.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                        I think hammers decay, not beakers.
                        How fast do hammers decay? I'd hate to start a thread about this...

Is it just me or has there been very little "gut" research into civ4 on poly.

Comment

IIRC, at NORMAL speed hammers for units begin to decay after 10 turns of being spent on something else (whether consecutive turns, or not). For buildings it is 30 turns. Double & triple these numbers for Epic & Marathon speeds.

Speed of decay once it begins: not much, but I really don't know.

The point is, however, that you don't have to be too concerned about interrupting builds. If an urgency comes up, go ahead and ctrl-click that urgency to the head of the queue.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus

I'm quite certain that I saw it in civ4 too.
                            I also.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by johnmcd
                              Hammers decay, I don't believe beakers have ever decayed in Civ 4
                              I also thought beakers would decay over the long haul.
                              And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Working...
                              X