25% vs How the hell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25% vs How the hell?

I am really curious about something. How the heck does the combat promotions calculate?

Example.

My regular (non-promoted) crossbowman vs a regular pikemen gives the following odds:

Xbow vs Pike
    6.00 vs 4.00

How in the name of all seven seas does this work?

My own calculations would give something like:
    Xbow base strength 6 x .5 (+50% vs melee) = 9
    Pike base strength 6

result: 9.00 vs 6.00

now, I do see a certain shall we call it possibility, namely that the advantage is the same i.e 3 vs 2. but I really don't get why the Pike gets it's strength reduced by 2. does the vs 25% / 50% add only to base strength? or rather, reduce the opponents base strength?

so for example.

if my Xbow has Combat II, giving it +20% strength for a total of 6.00 x 1.20 = 7.2, is that number by any way affected by the +50% vs melee? I guess what I'm asking is, do these effects stack. it seems to me that they don't...

Is this explained somewhere?
    Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

how about a big nice cup of search the forums noob!!

Ahh…fighting. Love it or hate it, there will be times it’s part of your Civ-ing career. This article attempts to explain a bit about how combat is figured, discusses some “jump points” where your odds of success change dramatically with a very small change in strength...

(I know, talking to myself, not good sign of mental health)

Comment

I'm still a bit unsure about certain details in that post. I'm not a mathematician...

am I right to understand that the unit specific bonuses only apply if the defender has a bonus? why does this have to be so damned difficult?

Comment

ok. a wee bit easier, but still... ouch, my head is aching!

Comment

All the attacker's bonuses except the combat promotion line are discounted from the defender, rather than applied directly to the attacker. First, they're applied to neutralize the defender's bonuses (so, if the pike was on forest, it would be 6 v. 6, since the x-bow's +50% would simply remove the pike's 50% defense bonus from terrain). Then, any remaining bonus is used to reduce the defender's base strength via the formula ES = BS/(1+X), where ES = effective strength, BS = base strength and X = remaining attacker bonus. Since, in your example, the pikeman had no bonuses and the x-bow had a 50% non-combat promotion bonus, the calculation is as follows:

ES = 6/(1+0.5) = 6/1.5 = 4.

The x-bow, since its only bonus was the +50% v. melee, remains at its base strength of 6. The ratio in this case is still 1.5, as you'd expect just from looking at the unit attributes.

EDIT: Sorry, I should have read past the first post.
          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

LzPrst talking to himself
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
            X