Exploiting Financial and Base Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploiting Financial and Base Placement

I was reading a thread here, and someone commented along the lines of "Willem is great, but putting any of your cities anywhere but the coast is just self-limiting."

While I understood it, it gave me the time to consider base placement to put Financial to the best use possible.

Since just talking about it is difficult, I decided to make some stupid graphs to explain whats going on, and to maybe help people discuss it better. If the images don't show, just hit right-click and do 'show image'. Comcast is screwy, lately.

Here's, let's say, the starting situation. You're the Red guy, next to the coast. Each square here isn't an actual game square, just something to divide the world up. You've got Pink Guy at the upper right of the landmass you're on:

Now, if I were to do an only-coast policy, my placement would look something, eventually, like this:

My problem with this is that it tends to offend my sense of look, and I'm usually deathly afraid of my opponent (in this case, Pink Guy) getting land / materials / special squares in the area of B3-E6. So, early on I instead op for building cities that, in some small way, block my enemy from spreading this way. Something like this:

(The arrows, of course, meaning the direction later placement of cities)

The downside to this, means that my initial cities in the landmass won't be as Financial-Exploiting as the Coasts method, but on the other hand I'm more likely to risk my opponent taking that chunk in the middle.

So basically, waht I ask is this: as a general rule, how would you go about expanding in order to best exploit FIN? I'm a horrible player by most standards (usually just play by feel), so I'm sure I'm missing some key great ideas.
    It's a CB.
    --
    SteamID: rampant_scumbag

Actually, I personally would have settled the coasts, and either cultured him out of the center, or made real nice friends until it was time to conquer....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Wellin addition, river tiles are great to cottage or windmill, so if I go inland I just make sure I am on a river. That makes Willem's dikes more useful too.

Comment

One note about William's Dikes; if the city is non river coastal, the Dikes will still produce the hammers in the river tiles.
        And if the city is along the river but non coastal, the Dikes will still produce the hammers in those coast/ocean tiles.

So you have a bit more flexibility playing him.
        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
        Templar Science Minister
        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
          One note about William's Dikes; if the city is non river coastal, the Dikes will still produce the hammers in the river tiles.
          And if the city is along the river but non coastal, the Dikes will still produce the hammers in those coast/ocean tiles.

So you have a bit more flexibility playing him.
          Interesting.

But... you still lack fresh water for the former and lack the ability to make lighthouses and harbors for the latter. Right?

Wodan

Comment

indeed

Originally posted by wodan11

Interesting.

But... you still lack fresh water for the former and lack the ability to make lighthouses and harbors for the latter. Right?

Wodan
            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I am the last person you should listen to about Civ strategy, but here goes.

You describe two priorities. You will need to pursue both. Just like the goals of expansion, military build-up, happiness, and economy all compete for your build list, so do the competing goals affect your city placement. I would try to get something in the center, preferably following the path of some long river, as well as some coastal locations. Order of placement would be affected by location of resource tiles, especially food tiles.

Your question seems to be "Should I do this or that?" My answer seems to be "Do both as best as you can."
              If you aren't confused,
              You don't understand.

Comment

I personally think you should take the ocean

Comment

That would be CtP or SMAC.

Wodan

Comment

Don't forget that Creative trait. If I could get settlers out fast enough, I'd try to place cities early enough to block out the whole peninsula. The above advice about rivers is great. Most cities would be coastal, with one or a few interior ones strategically placed more to block AI expansion and claim territory than anything else.

For example....
                    2nd city goes on A4 or A5 (can't quite tell if A4 is coastal). That's the spot closest to AI, and will start hemming him in.

3rd city would go around F2 or F3. Another coast city, so it should grow fast and be strong quickly.

4th city would go around C3 or D3. Take whatever you can get resource-wise. Place it so the borders will merge with #2 and #3 ASAP.

Give those cities just a single monastery each, and you'll have +4 cpt. That would give each city a radius of at least 3 probably before 500 BC, and you should have a solid border of culture probably along the 2 column. Columns 5, 6, and 7 are empty, but clearly yours. Your next cities would be on the coast, completely claiming your territory. Build a wonder if at all possible in City #2, so it can really push out culture borders against the AI.

Drawbacks would be bigger maint. costs, especially until you got courthouses. Defense early on would be harder too. Claiming all that territory would be worth it, though.

I love playing Willem.

Shalkai

Comment

That is one thing that the AIs do really well in BtS on the harder levels and that is to push your territory back as much as possible. Sometimes I go to war just because they piss me off so much doing it. Whenever I play a Creative civ I take as much advantage of my ability to culturally fend the AIs off as possible and when I can seal them out of my future territory all together I will.

Comment

Working...
                      X