A few things I have been wondering about:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few things I have been wondering about:

I was wondering if anyone knows the answers to these questions. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

1. Chopping trees. Do you get extra benefit if you are expansionist and building workers? Imperialistic and building settlers? Industrious and building wonders?

2. Corporations. I don't really have a good understanding of these. Is there a link to a post/something that has a good explanation for this? I have tried searching/scanning several pages back and haven't found anything really helpful. The civlopedia on this concept is very inadequate IMO.

Also, do you just build corporate branches in every single town that you can? Does the town having access to a resource (such as iron in its resource box due to another town having a iron mine) give you the benefit? Or does the town actually need the resource within its city limits? Also, what are the benefits of the different corporations? Finally, is it best to build corporations in a single town, especially a town that founded a religion and has a temple with the wall street special building which would give you a huge bonus to $$$?

Any insight would be great, thanks.

1. Yes, the shopped trees count towards your base hammer count. Then it'll be adjusted by all possible adjustments. (ie. buildings, traits, etc.)

2. A corporation works in any city that has one of the required resources. (ie. Mining Inc. only works in a city that has access to iron, bronze, etc.)

A corporation gives you a bonus in that city based on the nr of required resources the city has access to. ie. 2 bronze en 4 iron give you +3 hammers in that city

A corporation has to pay maintenance costs based on the number of required resources it has access to. The more resources, the more advantage, the more maintenance costs. This can be reduced by courthouses, distance to city, forbidden palace, etc.

The HQ of a corporation gets +4 gpt for every city in the world that has that corporation. 10 cities, +40 gpt.

Therefor you should build all possible money multiplying buidings in your HQ city. If your HQ city has: grocery, market, bank, wall street it receives +12 gpt for every corporation!

If the maintenance for a city is lower then that 12 gpt you get a netto profit.

If every corporation gives you a netto profit it pays to spread the corp to all cities. Unless you of course already make enough money and have more use for soldiers then money.

Building a cultural corporation in a border city or cultural-win city is obviously more important then building it in some other city where culture is not important anyway.

You an also spread corporations to yourneighbours. They get the profit, but pay maintenance. You get the HQ income. You have to pay an ammount to settle the corporation though. (like you have to for your own cities)

Corporations that share a required resource (ie. two different corporations require iron) can't be settled in the same town. If you want to settle the corp in that city you have to buy the other corp out. This is (obviously) not possible in a corp hq city.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Wow...as if I didn't want BtS enough as it was. Now I have to find out that's how powerful corporations are.

Comment

I'm not sure CS even scratched the surface of how powerful corporations are. Consider getting 10 hammers and 60 culture in a border city each turn, just by spreading Creative Constructions and taking a net income hit of about 5 gpt. Consider now that you're running Free Speech and have a broadcast tower in the city, turning that 60 cpt into 150 cpt. Now consider adding Sid's Sushi, which may give 14 food and 56 (140) culture each turn. I won't even mention Civ Jewels, which has similar culture potential and, instead of food or hammers, pays for itself and returns a profit in most circumstances, because I think the case is already made. Stick these in a border city and watch it quickly overwhelm your rival's corresponding border city. If and when you get a flip, expand your corporations (especially now that execs are unlimited) to your new city and repeat the process. Flips are too unreliable and time-consuming to form the basis of a late-game strategy, but they're fun, plus they're only a byproduct of a solid corporation strategy that focuses on improving existing cities and extending your borders to (a) let your cities work the best tiles, and (b) give you a culture cushion against potential invasion.
        Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Wow, thanks for the reply and great tips!

Comment

Working...
          X