AI still spam roads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI still spam roads?

I started a thread about this back when Civ4 was just Civ4. Now that there have been two expansion packs, I am curious if the AI still builds roads/railroads in every square of its empire or in the BFCs and the random resource? Also, is it possible to pillage/eliminate these spammed roads in order to create a more pleasing aesthetic?

Pillage them before you take them over.

I spam them too. It helps defend your civ. and it's silly to lose connection to resources when a single square get's pillaged by the enemy.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The AI doesn't build roads in preference to useful improvements, like it used to. I think that's a good change. However, once they get done with improvements, they'll spam roads.

My current beef with the AI is that it REALLY needs to have the "leave old improvements" flag set for itself. It constantly turns villages to workshops, workshops to cottages, etc etc. It's ludicrous and hamstrings the AI in a big way.

It's like its threshold is set too fine. If there's a 1 hammer discrepancy in what it thinks is the optimal for that city, it'll go change something to a workshop or whatever.

Wodan

Comment

Originally posted by rah
        Pillage them before you take them over...
        Do you get for pillaging the roads, or just the improvements?
        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

They may have stopped spamming roads, but geez o' pete do they crank out the caravels. It's such a high preference for them I've had occasions where my massive stacks o' land army o' doom are bearing down on an AI's core cities, and they're whipping out caravels to counter the four, maybe five frigates I've sent around the coast to block trade.
          For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Comment

Originally posted by rah
            Pillage them before you take them over.
            I realize I could do that but I have bigger fish to fry than pillaging roads when I'm involved in a war. That said, I would like the option, once the war is over, to go back and get rid of some of those unnecessary roads even if it means only my workers were able to pull up those roads. Ideally, I would like to use bombers but beggars can't be choosers.
            Last edited by Nohbody8; February 13, 2008, 13:14.

Comment

Once it's in your culture border, I don't think you can pillage them.

And the problem with the AI having the don't replace option.... When they get advanced civics they wouldn't be able to upgrade to take advantage.
              but yes it does seem a bit silly when it's finished building something then starts building something else there.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Pillaging roads doesn't net you any gold.

Wodan

Comment

My biggest beef is that I will look in on a civ in the later stages of the game and a city will only have 5 or 6 tiles improved! What the heck were they doing with all those workers all that time? This seems the one area that Blake left out of the AI fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by Crossfire
                    My biggest beef is that I will look in on a civ in the later stages of the game and a city will only have 5 or 6 tiles improved! What the heck were they doing with all those workers all that time? This seems the one area that Blake left out of the AI fixes.
                    It's probably an inherently starving city - it has enough food to work the currently improved plots and can't get any more food. For example, a plains city with no fresh water access. What is spamming cottages on the unworkable plains plots going to do?

The AI wont systematically chain irrigation, that is a weakness of it.

Comment

I usually stick my workers to auto-improve trade network once I've improved my empire fully and this reads to a complete road network. I don't mind it, to be honest.

Talking about AI weaknesses, I'd consider the fact that it will systematically destroy improvements such as villages and towns to make way for workshops or watermills, only to replace them with a cottage a couple turns later. Seems like really bad procedure at any rate. Also, the lack of chain irrigation really does hurt them at times but you already covered that!
                      "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Re: AI still spam roads?

Originally posted by Nohbody8
                        I started a thread about this back when Civ4 was just Civ4. Now that there have been two expansion packs, I am curious if the AI still builds roads/railroads in every square of its empire or in the BFCs and the random resource? Also, is it possible to pillage/eliminate these spammed roads in order to create a more pleasing aesthetic?
                        Of course it spams roads everywhere it can. It is an occasionally useful thing to do for military purposes. Also, the AI would not use aesthetic criteria for building roads. Programmers are still working on making the CIV worker AI smart, let alone artistic to any one set of artistic values. Come to think of it, that may be true of worker units in real life as well.

(When I am done manually moving workers around, I automate them for just that purpose of making roads just in case I need them later ro rush units to defend against a supposed friend.)

I know by direct accidental experience that you can pillage your own improvements. I have caught my error soon enough that I do not know if you can also pillage roads, but I would expect as much. The best answer I can give to the question is "I don't know; try it and tell us."

(If I had present access to my game machine, I would do exactly that, but that is my problem, not yours.)
                        If you aren't confused,
                        You don't understand.

Comment

Warning - old guy gripe

My eyes still struggle to discern between modern roads and railroads. Yeah, I know there's a line in the roads, but I need to zoom in to see it.
                          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Re: Re: AI still spam roads?

Originally posted by eris
                            Of course it spams roads everywhere it can. It is an occasionally useful thing to do for military purposes.
                            I got this argument a lot the first time I asked about this. The thing is, why do I need to defend anything but my BFCs, the roads that connect my BFCs, or the resources outside of my BFCs that are connected by roads? I don't need roads on every square of my empire because the only squares I need to defend already have roads on them.

After all of those turns of getting used to how my empire looks from the main screen, it is difficult for me to make immediate sense of what the AI has done with their cities. In other words, it's a bit "busy" and I'd like the option to start taking elements out of the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by Nohbody8
                              Now that there have been two expansion packs, I am curious if the AI still builds roads/railroads in every square of its empire or in the BFCs and the random resource?
                              Of course, why shouldn't it? Having roads everywhere makes it easy to move your troops around in case of an attack. I do the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X