Most Challenging Random Leader/Civ Pairings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Challenging Random Leader/Civ Pairings

I've recently become enamored of the Unrestricted Leaders flag, and found a few pairings to be particularly challenging:

Mansa Musa / Dutch <-- Tech power house
    Gilgamesh / Mali <-- Very nicely balanced early game, but fades post Renaissance
    Willem / Portugal <-- Good tech, better military
    Catherine / Ottoman <-- Will conquer all your friends and neighbors

Anyone else have some favorite boutique combinations to share?
    For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

How about Tokugawa/Native Americans? AGG dog warriors and PRO uberarchers that start with 6 experience (Drill 3), 10 with civics (Drill 4)? Or, hmm, is it Mao that's CHA/PRO? CHA/PRO and N.A., again super archers (Drill 4 with only Theo OR vassalage)?
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Churchill is CHA/PRO
      The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Aggressive/Creative Rome can be an absolute ***** to deal with.
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I've started messing around with the unrestricted leaders. And in most cases, it usually involves somebody protective

The native americans are a great half with their UB.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, but dog soldiers suck. You have to get iron for swords or horse archers to deal with archers on hills/ in forests, because you can't get odds with anything else.
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

While their UU might suck... their UB is pretty good for cranking out massive Drill units
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Meh. If you could oracle fued early then but otherwise

Comment

Dog soldiers are fine, as long as you're mostly building archery units, as you should be with NAs. They serve their purpose - countering swordsmen - just as well as axemen, a base dog soldier is 8 vs sword as opposed to 7.5 for axe, and a combat 1 + melee promoted dog soldier is 9.4 as opposed to 9.25 for axe versus sword. Anything else in that era the archers can handle fine.

They're useless for attacking of course, but as NAs you should be going to longbows or crossbows as quickly as possible anyway if you're going to be aggressive... either oracle feud, or just rush to it (it's what, 4 techs down the line?).
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Not so challenging but a powerful combo
                    Darius as the Holy Roman....talk about being a financial/ organized beast with their UB and the UU is not so shabby.

Comment

Ran into Wang Kong / Sumeria. Wow but they kicked my butt.
                      For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Comment

The only time I played unrestricted leaders was when I wanted to give a try to Boudica of the Romans. AGG/CHM + Praets =
                        "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Working...
                        X