Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When time and tide set against you and all that is comly, fair, just lies in ruin...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When time and tide set against you and all that is comly, fair, just lies in ruin...

...and you come to that point in your soul where intellectual entertainment meets humiliation at the 'hands' of a flow of dark electrons bent upon cruel destruction and you look and wonder why you bother when after all you control the horizonal, you control the vertical and this game from hell can go back there, time to 'start again'.

It was a grand strategy! All in balance through diplomacy, graft among nations and outright terror tactics mixed with sharing the faith of love of the one true god. Yet, it must not have been meant to be. The great push met a greater force, the graft not well recieved didn't take hold, the terror brought only cold snores, the sharing of the faith bought votes for an adversary.

Time to lose.

Bah! Screw this, I'll start again.

.................................................. ......................

I do this. Just wanted to come out of the closet on being a start againer in single player.

.................................................. ......................

Sometimes if I'm way ahead I'll get bored and start again too...this is somehow in my defense.
    Yeah I do.
    66.67%
    No, I fight on to the last.
    13.33%
    This is option 3, you can tell by its position on the poll.
    6.67%
    banana
    13.33%
    Last edited by Lancer; February 10, 2008, 06:04.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

i used to be a chronic restarter. but I've bettered my ways. but yeah, I still tend to start again, not because I'm losing, but because I get bored. and now I'm bored with the ancient age so I can't be bothered to finish even that anymore

at least I have my diplogames...
    Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Very rarely finish a game, due to the boredom factor, in fact im opposite to LzPrst in that I enjoy the ancient era the most and find the modern era tedious.

Not as bad now in BTS but for all its vast improvemments over civ3, civ4 to my mind made combat stale.

I always completed civ3 games, well nearly always
      A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

I try to learn from my defeat and see the reasons why I lost and the
        black electrons won.
        Believe me, it's very funny too.
        And a great revenge against the black electrons.
        Best regards,

Comment

I USUALLY fight to the last. Unless I started out on lousy tundra and find myself hopelessly lost when I first start meeting other civs.

I persevere and play to the end of game, whether my enemy is a powerful civ or tedium. I am playing for the adventure, not "just" the fun of the game. Just goes to show how much adventure the rest of my life is.

Addendum: In the past, when I have quit I just "quit". I have now resolved that whenever I quit, I will "resign" (which I have never done). Let there be a record of my loss ... because I have either determined this is hopeless or I just don't want to do this anymore.
          Last edited by Jaybe; February 10, 2008, 13:23.

Comment

Well, I never re-start just because I'm in a bad starting location or whatever. I mean, I'll quit if I'm sure to lose; there does come a time when even a chess grandmaster will just resign because he knows he can't win.

Comment

Way ahead or way behind, I'll restart. Also sometimes if I haven't played the game for awhile and it's mostly explored I'll restart b/c I think that's the part I enjoy the most.

And sometimes I'll restart if I didn't get a certain wonder I really wanted. Petty, I know.
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Same here. Way ahead or way behind, it's the only thing to do. Start again. I mean, I have two jobs and a family... My time is precious!!!
                RIAA sucks
                The Optimistas
                I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I have a bad habit of starting again even when I'm not far behind or ahead. I like the start the best, and as long as I keep at it in one gaming session I'm happy.

Then once I save, quit and come back the next day... I want to start a new game

Comment

There are many of you who are doing exactly what I do. Funny I thought I was exhibiting some great flaw in my character that nobody else had. Turns out most of you have the same great flaw.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

same here...restart at the beginning or quit the game after a long era of boring stability and lack of progress of my civ(when i start pressing -end turn- every minute or so )...guess we ll have to wait untill the release of CHARACTER V 2.0....
                      no more turns...

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                        Way ahead or way behind, I'll restart...
                        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Usually when I am getting bored with it but could be very early if I don’t like the leader or get a poor location. I find the simple “bootstrap” approach to playing somewhat tedious and like a little variation between games.

Comment

Originally posted by Aro
                            Way ahead or way behind, it's the only thing to do.
                            For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Comment

Yeah, way ahead or way behind. Sometimes I'll try something new when in that situation. Sometimes not.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X