Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error at start up

Hi

For some reason I uninstalled Civ and wanted to reinstall today. So I installed and 5 mins in it crashed. So, I checked for updates and it found one and I got it to download and install.

No I have just tried to play the game and straight away I get an error message -

Civilization 4.exe - Unable to Locate Component. This application has failed to start becasue D3DX9_32.DL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Well, I did reinstall and the exact same thing happened. What is is going on and can anyone help, please?

That's DirectX... try reinstalling DirectX 9.0c (newest available). www.gamesforwindows.com or some such.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Also check your SATA-cables - if they sit properly and stable where they belong (thats the cause of all errors to me now ).

Comment

Thanks guy (ah, you might be gals, sorry) the Directx thing sorted it but I don't know why it would suddenly vanish as I have made no changes or any new hardware.
        Cheers!!

Comment

As i said: Check your SATA-cables... when they are loose, they cause not only system crashes, but loss of data (such as a DX-file maybe) as well...

Comment

Thanks Unimatrix I will give them a check and might as well make sure there is no dust inside as well, give it a bit of a spring clean methinks!

Many thanks!

Comment

I thought DX10 was available now?
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

From what I was reading and my understanding is it only available for Vista? Probably wrong but that is the way it sounded me.

Comment

DX10 is vista. DX9.0c is XP.

Comment

How do you tell what version of DirectX you're running?

Wodan

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11
                      How do you tell what version of DirectX you're running?

Wodan
                      Start --> Run --> dxdiag --> OK

DirectX version is displayed near the bottom of the first page.
                      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                      -- Kosh

Comment

Note that 9.0c is misleading. You're almost certainly running 9.0c if you have XP - it's the version for the last several years.

There are lots of smaller updates, most of which are mandatory for newer games, that fall under '9.0c' that MS for some reason has chosen not to rename 9.0d or something...

Comment

Thanks both of you.

Hmm. Well, the Microsoft.com download center, for DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en) says the current version is 9.21.1148.

My system says it's running DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904).

Those #s don't seem like they correspond?

I guess I should download the 9.21 one... seems like it might make my Civ run faster or crash less?

Wodan

Comment

That's the version of the Web Installer, not the version of DirectX...

Comment

The most current DirectX would be available here:
                              download, software, update, Microsoft, product, computer, PC, Windows, Office, server, MSN, Live, game, Xbox, security, driver, install, trial, preview, demo, popular

The installer basically checks to see what you have and updates individually; the thing I linked above is the full installer for several versions of DirectX.

Comment

Working...
                              X