Louis and his magical ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louis and his magical ships

I'm playing a Large Continents game, and started on a rather small island Rushed my only other co-inhabitant Justinian and put him out of the picture, leaving me in peace.

Now just north of me is France on another land mass - I can see their cultural border extending into my view. It's obviously only a few tiles away. But there IS ocean inbetween. Definitely.

Question is: How come Louis can send work boats and galley's over to explore around my island, and bring a damn settler over?

Playing on Prince. Does the AI get some kind of edge here? I swear I have double-checked every tile. I set my ships on auto-explore and there's nowhere else they can go. But his ships can get over the ocean!

Galleys can move into ocean as long as it is within YOUR OWN CULTURAL BORDER. So his culture crosses that ocean but yours does not. So therefore he has the advantage.

In warlords triremes where bugged to be able to move into any cultural ocean square, that was rather anoying when they start pillaging your ocean resources.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

You can travel on ocean tiles in your own territory iirc with work boats and galleys.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I don't think it's the case here, but if he has Astronomy, that also allows his work boats to go across ocean.

Wodan

Comment

mmmm - an interesting tactic suggests itself - early game great artist to bring the ocean into your cultural boundaries, and you can invade across the oceans, and they can't get back at you.

Comment

In my most recent game, this feature had some interesting trade affects pre Astronomy.

The Spanish AI had a communication advantage, being able to talk to all but one player in the game.

While I was the only player able to communicate to that other player.
            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Ah, thanks guys. Much sense is made.

I hate Louis.
              And his superior cultural border, too.

Comment

Originally posted by JeebusGreen
                Ah, thanks guys. Much sense is made.

I hate Louis.
                And his superior cultural border, too.
                CRE leaders can expand their borders insanely fast.
                And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er

CRE leaders can expand their borders insanely fast.
                  One of the reasons why CRE is a powerful trait. Although city flipping is much less effective in BTS than in vanilla or Warlord, it still allows you to expand your sphere of control effortlessly.

I've never had a map come up where the galleys in the ocean has become useful--although it occurs to me that in case of a war involving galleys, it would be a way to park your wounded galleys out of reach of enemy ships(assuming you couldn't make it to a friendly port)

Comment

Working...
                  X