No announcement yet.

Starting BtS causes computer to reboot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting BtS causes computer to reboot?

Hello,

I've recently realised that sometimes when I start Bts or reload a saved game my computer restarts and I'm told that it has "just recovered from a serious error". I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what may be causing this?

Thanks,

Mike

actually i have gotton the blue "crash dump" screen immediately after exiting the game (from my game screen not the main menu.) It then restarted. This happened two times before and i had my web browser open one time, and i clicked it open the other time after exiting the game and immediately got the "crash dump" page.

Not sure this is the same thing and i thought this was just me but this is a good time to post this.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Reinstall CIV...I doubt it is a faulty installation of CIV, but it is a possibility. If not, reinstall Windows
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

actually i think this may be a Vista thing, one of the many compatibility issues most games are experiencing that were made pre-Vista. Are you using Vista, Mike?

If so this is a Firaxis fix, nothing the user can do.
        Order of the Fly

Comment

It's possibly a graphics card issue, or an overheat issue - but that's a lot less likely on startup. You might try updating your graphics card drivers. What system are you running? What's your CPU, Graphics card, OS, RAM?
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

me or Mike?

i am using a NVIDIA 8500 GT (512MB) w/ newest drivers, Windows Vista 32 bit, AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ (2.1 GHZ) Processors, 2 GB DDR2 RAM. Nothing is overclocked or overheating.

i can run Oblivion and STALKER on MAX settings, and play Civ on MAX everything.

again it has crashed my SYSTEM upon exiting, the game itself did not crash and also i was usaing my browser (IE7) at the time of crash simultaniously upon exiting. i am not sure of Mike's problem but this is a similar situation IMHO. if this isnt a Vista problem then i dont know...
            Order of the Fly

Comment

I was talking to Mike, not you Crashing on exiting is interesting also, more likely due to either a vista compatibility problem IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if it's trying to write to a file that it's not permitted to write to. If it only happened once it's probably random; if it happens all the time it's more likely a file permissions issue; if it happens sporadically but not all the time, it's probably another program causing the problem (IE, possibly).
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Hey all, thanks for the replies. I can't remember my exact settings as I'm on another PC atm, but I'm on XP with, if I recall, a fairly mid-range grahics card and a gig of RAM. I can run Oblivion though so I don't think it's too bad a system for Civ.

Sprry I can't be more detailed, I'll have to have a look another time. Importantly though, I'm not using vista so I doubt our two problems are the same.

Comment

Working...
                X