No announcement yet.

Tech/Wonder race - who finishes first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech/Wonder race - who finishes first?

So you and someone other pompous wanna-be Lord-of-the-World and building the same wonder, set to finish in 1 turn.

What determines it?
    In a turn-based game I would assume it's turn order - but does that give the single player, or the first of the order in MP, an advantage?)
    What about simultaneous turn games?

I know a friend of mine and I were playing simultaneous and discovered we were building the same wonder - me 2 turns away, him 1. I whipped, I won.

Same question goes for research.

2 Civs getting Polytheism on the same turn? Where does Ganesha raise his trunk?

In SP you always win a "tie" with the AI.

In MP, it seems pretty much random on who wins. Being in slot number one (the host) doesn't provide any advantage over players in higher number slots.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

[q=Ming]In MP, it seems pretty much random on who wins. Being in slot number one (the host) doesn't provide any advantage over players in higher number slots.[/q]

Yeah, it is completely random who wins ties in MP. Shouldn't be, but for some reason Firaxis prefer it to largest overflow wins :shrug:
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
        In SP you always win a "tie" with the AI.
        Except in one case: you whip/buy and then go into 'anarchy'. Then the AI will beat you (I know from 1sthand experience).
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Yeah, but that's because nothing gets built in anarchy...
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Yeah... if you are in anarchy, it's not a tie
            Keep on Civin'

Comment

Basically. A mistake brought over from civII...
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

A mistake... why do you say that?" If you are in anarchy, nothing is being completed, even if you have the hammers. It seems reasonable to me.
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Because (and this is a fair way to lok at it) if you have 100% of the hammers required to build something, you do have the entire thing completed, so you should havethe ability to use it from the next turn.

I don;t realy care which way the mechanic works, so long as it is consistant.

Comment

I can see both sides of it... and like you, as long as they are consistant, that's what is important. So it's really a choice, and not a mistake
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

I thought Theben was talking about a a mistake that he made because it was what he learnt about the game mechanics in C2?

Comment

Correct. In Civ2 you can still build in anarchy, just no money or science accumulates. Since I'd never done it before, and the opportunity to switch to a better civic came up, I didn't even think about it. It cost me the Great Library, which as a PHIL civ, hurt a lot.

It won't happen again.

Comment

Basically, all of your builds are completed at the end of your turn. This means that, if a rival is building a wonder and has one turn to complete it, they will never get the chance because it will be completed before they begin their turn.

You see the same feature when you’ve got the enemy at your door and are about to complete a unit build. That unit will be available to defend if the city is attacked.

Much the same will happen with techs. Assuming nothing happens to your cities while they are completing things, growing, etc, a tech that is one turn away will be completed before the SP gets its turn.

One thing you might try out is the terrain enhancing techs (eg Printing Press, Guilds). If the tech can be arrange to complete after the contribution of just a few cities, it would be interesting to see if the remaining cities get the terrain enhancements. It seems like they should but I don’t know if this would be the case.

Comment

Working...
                          X