What's yer Oracle slingshot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's yer Oracle slingshot?

I always go for Metalcasting when I can. Hammers rule!

Although next time I'm gonna try for Feudalism.
    Code of Laws, naturally
    41.82%
    Metalcasting!
    25.45%
    Feudalism
    3.64%
    Fishing. I'm kinda new at this...
    7.27%
    Other (plz specify)
    20.00%
    Calendar. Gotta git dem Bananas!
    1.82%
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

I chose metal-casting. I never have feudalism or civil service open when I complete the oracle, so those are out. Code of Laws can be attractive, and I have taken it if I am in a truly desperate economic situation, but I generally prefer to get forges to maximize chops/whips. This is especially true if I have mined happy resources, forges just get stronger.
    You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Civil Service if possible. Granted, it also depends on what level/version I'm playing.
      Civ4 CFC Hall of Fame: Forums, Rules, FAQ, Tables, Email: hof.civfanatics@gmail.com

Comment

I don't use it. The tech is too late when on my preferred beeline to literacy. I'm a sucker for the Great Library, so sue me.

So for me. Not that you included the option.
        Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44
          I don't use it. The tech is too late when on my preferred beeline to literacy. I'm a sucker for the Great Library, so sue me.

So for me. Not that you included the option.
          What's wrong with the Great Library? I think it's arguably the best wonder in the game. And what difficulty do play on that you have to beeline for the Great Library? And when will the newbies on this board learn to stop jacking threads?

But seriously, couldn't you use the Oracle to get one of the literacy techs?
          You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Originally posted by Seedle
            What's wrong with the Great Library?
            Nothing wrong with free scientists.

And what difficulty do play on that you have to beeline for the Great Library?
            I play on monarch. The beeline is to Aesthetics (traded for Alphabet and other goodies, works every time), after which literacy is a nice, cheap target.

But seriously, couldn't you use the Oracle to get one of the literacy techs?
            I assume it is too easy to lose the wonder to an AI, at which point my beeline wouldn't work. Although now that you suggested it, I might try just to be sure.

Comment

Code of Laws, if it still comes with a religion and I don't have one yet. Otherwise probably Metal Casting. That said, I don't go after the Oracle that often anymore. I not so much into beelines as they're always a gambit. It just don't feel right. I prefer a "broad" development.

Comment

I usually try for Feudalism but when that isn't possible I will usually take Metal Casting. Everything you need for the Oracle puts you on the path for Literature anyway so I usually have no trouble getting the Great Library too if I want it. If I manage to get free Feudalism, it does alter the way I play a bit because I can run Hereditary Rule and so I tend to build more military and whip less to keep my cities happy.

Comment

Most of the time : theology
                  It gives me a religion, and enables to build to Apostolic Palace : I tend to build it for the +2 hammers per church / monastery

Comment

Originally posted by Crossfire
                    Everything you need for the Oracle puts you on the path for Literature anyway so I usually have no trouble getting the Great Library too if I want it.
                    Not true. If you beeline strictly for literacy, you can not build the Oracle, as you don't research the tech. And if you beeline strictly to aesthetics, you don't research any of the religious techs at first - the ones needed for literacy are made after aesthetics. That's a lot of time, and a big diversion just for the one-tech wonder.

Comment

Generally Code of Laws because I’m unlikely to have my own religion and it is quite a nice tech to get early. Also gives a decent enough civic which has uses in the early game.

When playing industrious or with a large number of coastal cities, Metal Casting might be a nice alternative.

Comment

depends on map really

GL on lot of water
                        Monarchy when I need the gov'ment
                        metalurgy when i need some better units
                        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I get the most expensive tech usually. This saves time in the long run and opens the door for future trades to get the cheaper, more neglected, techs.

If it isnt CoL it will be Metalurgy, or whatever the most expensive tech down from there is.
                          Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

While Metalurgy is the usually the most "expensive" tech available when I build Oracle, I will take COL if I don't have a religion, or then Metalurgy if I got one of the early religions.
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Same here. But, if I'm the native americans and have some good beaker resources I may try for feud. Highly promoted longbowmen can be a lot of fun that early.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X