Woohoo! I finally won on Emperor!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woohoo! I finally won on Emperor!!!!

It took a while but I finally got an Emperor win and am damn happy. Large map, 10 civs, ancient start, everything else normal, no shenanigans. I survived many wars and got to Alpha Centauri in 1932 for my best normalized score ever. I have been trying to win on Emperor for a month or so now and it sure is nice to finally win one. Hey hey, it only took a year and a half to work my way up from Chieftain.

Sorry for the bragging but I just had to tell someone and we all know the wife doesn't want to hear about the game.

Originally posted by Crossfire
    Hey hey, it only took a year and a half to work my way up from Chieftain.
    Congrats, i have not been brave enough even to try yet. Have you ever thought how interesting it would be to see how you played your first civ4 game ever? I have no recollection about it but probably is quite good description.

Comment

In that Civ4 was my first Civ game ever, I am sure my first games were that bad or worse. Thank heavens for Vel and the whole community here who were so willing to teach beginners how to play. One thing though, I don't think I will ever have a desire to play on a harder level.

Comment

Originally posted by JulianD

Congrats, i have not been brave enough even to try yet. Have you ever thought how interesting it would be to see how you played your first civ4 game ever? I have no recollection about it but probably is quite good description.
        I remember my first Civ I game. It was on a lab computer with no manual. I explored the entire landmass with my settler. Didn't know about building a city!

Civ IV wasn't as bad, but there is a hands-on learning curve.
        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er
          I remember my first Civ I game. It was on a lab computer with no manual. I explored the entire landmass with my settler. Didn't know about building a city!
          This was viable in Civ2, I think. Before you built your first city, the chance of getting barbs out of huts was exactly 0%. So, you could get a bunch of techs and other goodies way faster (and safer) than with normal expansion.
          Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44

This was viable in Civ2, I think. Before you built your first city, the chance of getting barbs out of huts was exactly 0%. So, you could get a bunch of techs and other goodies way faster (and safer) than with normal expansion.
            Actually, it was quite possible to win the game without ever building a city. By using units popped from huts, you could take out the AIs very early. This technique was the way to win the earliest possible conquest, although it needed a lot of luck (or cheating ).

Comment

Originally posted by DaveV

Actually, it was quite possible to win the game without ever building a city. By using units popped from huts, you could take out the AIs very early. This technique was the way to win the earliest possible conquest, although it needed a lot of luck (or cheating ).
              Sounds a lot like winning the game as controllable raging barbarians.

Comment

Congrats Crossfire.

I've bee thinking of moving up to Emporer and have false started a couple of times. Maybe this will motivate me to go ahead and give it a real shot.
                The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

one of these years I can brag

congrats indeed
                  anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

ok, I guess its time for me to move up from Monach too...

Comment

I've been playing Civ since the first one. I remember playing my first Civ3 game on emperor and having my capital conqured by two chinese warriors. I even had two fortified warriors in my capital and these bloody chinese units just walk over and take it (I should have won that fight, damn it).

I won my second game of Civ3 though (also on emperor). Then I started playing on deity and got my butt kicked for like 50 games (or something like that) before I started winning on deity. Of course then they introduced the "sid" level (those bastards).

And without bragging (which is already to late) I won my first Civ4 game, also on emperor (I didn't dare to start out on immortal).

Btw, nice going Crossfire on your win. I also wanted to brag a little.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveV

Yep... that was one of the challeges we played after everybody had mastered the OCC. You could take cities, but not build any. The problem was, if the AI didn't build a city on the coast of the land mass you started on, you couldn't win.

It was fun and really different... and cheating wasn't required. The AI was pretty stupid in Civ II.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Congrats on that win.

Emporer level is so much different than monarch.

I get trounced 2 out of 3 attempts.

Knocked it back to monarch for a pangea (huge) and almost got beat down... Hung on by fingernails... gonna try a pangea Emp next.
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Pretty funny that right after saying I would never want to try harder I played several attempts at Fleme's Deity game. I have since moved back to Emperor, also on a Pangaea map. Now, if I want to actually relax and enjoy playing, I step back to Monarch and just play.

Comment

Congratulations on winning Emperor!
                              The next step: Immortal, is going to be a big one!

I did the step a few months ago, and I'm still trying to get my first immortal win
                              Oh well, it keeps me busy till civ5

Fortunately we don't need all those weird civ1/2 types of rules (OCC, NSS, etc.) to keep the game interesting, thanks to immortal and... finally.... deity level )
                              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Working...
                              X