Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What number of AI's is fun for you on Huge or Large?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What number of AI's is fun for you on Huge or Large?

I'm having trouble with Huge and Large maps. I want to conquer on a big scale but with 10 AI's on Huge or 7 on Large, I find I'm too far away to rush (by the time I get there its a bad idea to fight) but with 15 and 10 I get left behind by techwhoring AIs that don't like sharing with the human. What works for you? Or do you stick to Standard?

Conquest has little appeal for me to be honest, far to much like hard work by the time the first two are done. When I have done it though, I'll go for 14 AI typically on a large map.

Use standard for conquest though, honestly, it's much more reasonable. Or do it OCC so it's just razing cities.
    www.neo-geo.com

Comment

If you have issues with tech-whoring AIs, why dont you just turn off tech-brokering ? I always do (even tho i rarely ever go for conquest)...

Comment

Large map, 18 Civs. I'm ahead on tech, #1 civ in the world, and the chics dig me.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
          Large map, 18 Civs. I'm ahead on tech, #1 civ in the world, and the chics dig me.
          Probably ready for the next elvel then!
          www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Nah, my wife frowns on that sort..oh, you mean the game? I'm at noble and I have good games and bad. The 18 civs keeps it interesting.

Comment

I wish my clunker of a machine would run on large and huge maps, instead I play on small with 7 other civs...

Comment

Totally depends on what mapscript you're using, and what settings if you use custom settings.

When you get a higher or lower land:water ratio, it's often a good idea to add extra AIs, unless you specifically want a ton of open terrain. Which, by the way, will almost certainly result in a huge barb problem early on.

Wodan

Comment

I really enjoy 8 or 10 civs on a large map. 8 is great if you don't want to be too crowded but 10 is probably a better game. I am playing on Emperor and often get my ass kicked playing this way. A couple games ago I got attacked by 3 other civs on the same turn at around 100ad. Needless to say I started over and put that one in the loss column.

Comment

Originally posted by Dilger
                    I wish my clunker of a machine would run on large and huge maps, instead I play on small with 7 other civs...
                    This was my sad state as well. Then I added an Invidia (sp) graphics card and 1 gig of RAM. Both were tolerably easy to install. The entire upgrade was around $200.

Huge runs slow as the game progresses but large w/18 civs runs well , mostly.

Comment

Good advice Lancer...I plan on using my tax return for a new machine...happy days

Comment

I use 14 civs on huge maps.
                        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

I play 30 civs on huge maps.

I play 30 civs on any map.

Spec.
                          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                            My standard world:
                            - Large map
                            - Fractal
                            - Low Water
                            - Tropical Climate
                            - 18 Civs
                            - Aggressive AI
                            - Raging Barbs

There will almost always be three or four civs with crappy starting places that just deserve to die, and will, early on. Others will have lovely starting places only to discover they have no copper/iron/horse/etc and will go for the throat of those who do. There are usually some nice religious wars, and with Fractal enough of a coastline and continents (usualy 2-3) to make it all interesting.

The raging barbs arn't too much of a threat, but the Visigoth event seems more likely, and you can get some nice barb cities on outlying islands, or in deep jungles that make things interesting early mid-game.
                            For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Comment

I play huge maps, and prefer 8-10 civs. Gives time and space for peaceful, settler based expansion after the initial rush. This is important mainly because I don't generally like how the AI places cities, so I want to be able to place as many of my own as possible. That having been said, I've played with 18 civs before and that was fun too. The diplomacy gets insane, it is very difficult to befriend more than one or two civs.
                              You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Working...
                              X