Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much randomness do you like in your game settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much randomness do you like in your game settings?

I saw a theme in a few threads I've read today, so I decided to pull the theme into a brand new thread.

How much randomness do you like in your games?

Do you prefer to play a Random Civ? Do you like having your AI opponents all random, or do you pick and choose based on mood or preference or avoiding AIs you hate to play with?

Do you randomize map settings?

In other words, at the start of the first turn, how much of the game's settings are predetermined by you? And why do you prefer to play that way?

Me, I like to randomize my opponents, but I always choose my own Civ, and the type of Map I am playing on.

I like to plau ultimate power games in SP, so I tend to play maps like Pangaea where good starts can lead to lots of land settled or bad starts lead to some very dead AI early on.
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Most of the settings don;t matter to me. I put on aggressive AI some of the team, sometimes not. I usually play with pick rel, and always play with no diplo vistory and with no vassal states.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I like it all random, except for the map size and speed (large and long, if you didn't guess ). I'd really like a mod for randomizing the number of civs, and the basic victory settings - this would make me try different strategies more often.
        Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

I start at the top of the custom game menu, and play my way down with as much randomness as possible. It keeps my interest by having more variable.

MIke

Comment

mainly randomize sea level, climate

stuff that does really make a differnece to me
            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I like randomness, unfortunately not all "randomness" options I want are there. I want to play with random civ colors (I'm tired of knowing what civs I'm about to meet even though I've only seen the borders) and I want to play with a random number of enemies (like where you chose to have between 10 and 15 enemies)

And I would love to see a better randomize for civ picking as it seems to favor some civs over others. Would be nice if you could tell it what civs not to pick between (e.g. I don't want to play as Rome if my last game was as the Romans)
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Yes, I'd love to see an option where you could play against random Civs but select the pool of Civs that would be chosen from. I'd like to have random Civs but know one of them won't be Mansa Masu or Zara Yaqob.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44
                  I like it all random, except for the map size and speed (large and long, if you didn't guess ). I'd really like a mod for randomizing the number of civs, and the basic victory settings - this would make me try different strategies more often.

Yes yes, yes yes and yes.

Oh, and "GOD YES."

I've always felt that the weakness of many games with multiplayer components is that you always know there are enemies out there, and you always know how many. So if you've met five people, you know there's not a sixth hiding somewhere to kill you.

RTSs are horrible about this. I've never understood why an enemy who doesn't use regular patrols should automatically know where you are, or even that you're there are all. So much for flying under the radar.

I also think it would be a very interesting option to include the possibility for a random civilization to be "born" into an expanse of unoccupied land, to spawn from Barbarian cities as they "civilize" themselves.

I know Rhye's does this, but I haven't tried that one out yet because I haven't really gotten a very clear indication of what exactly happens, whether you can switch civs or are forced to or what. Still, an option to include something like this in the "normal" game would be nice.
                  Noctre, Dak'Tar, the master of the endless shadow that envelops you... That is what they call me. Fear, little mortals, and feed me, for you, my little ones... are mine.

Comment

Starfarer, what the bleep is your problem?
                    First you imply that you like for things to be unknown so you don't know what to expect, and then you say you haven't tried Rhye's yet because you don't know how it works? Take the plunge! Try it and find out, then hope that things work DIFFERENTLY next time.

Just kidding! I haven't tried Rhye's yet either.

Comment

Don't judge meeeee! *sob*

*L* Honest, though. I don't play Civ as often as I want to, and I haven't been impressed with some o the other mods out there, is all, so I haven't gotten around to it.

But just for you, for you Jaybe, I'll make my next Civ game a Rhye's and Fall.
                      Noctre, Dak'Tar, the master of the endless shadow that envelops you... That is what they call me. Fear, little mortals, and feed me, for you, my little ones... are mine.

Comment

I wish the terrain settings would stay at random, too...
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                        X