Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I built the Apostolic Palace but the Chiese won the vote for who decides...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I built the Apostolic Palace but the Chiese won the vote for who decides...

...what to vote on. Will that vote come up again? If so, how do I get the froward buggers to vote for me? I founded the freakin religion too! It aint fair I tell ya.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Yes, the vote will come up again, but it will take awhile. Who gets voted for is dependent on how much the AIs like the candidates, so to get votes, you can start giving out gifts to people with the largest number of votes, join them in wars, etc. Also, spread the religion to people who like you more than the Chinese, that will give them more votes.

Of course, your vassals will always (I think) vote your way on any resolution except, I think, diplo victory. So get some vassals and spread your religion to them. In my current game in fact, I have the AP and 5-6 vassals. I think there is only 1 civ in the game (17 civs currently) who doesn't have my religion. So everytime the vote comes up, I get to make the whole world (cause everyone, except one, belongs to the palace) declare war on a civ of my choice (cause my vassals always vote for what I propose, and I therefore control like 80% of the votes). It is very fun
    You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

One neat trick to keep in mind next game is, if you have founded 2 religions, switch to the "lesser" religion that nobody else has, so that the AP religion is fixed on it. Then, you can use missionaries to spread that religion around only your cities and you'll always be the majority voter.

Wodan

Comment

Good deal. I just declared war on the Portugese to make the Japanese happy. If I survive the experience maybe I'll win the next vote.

The Chinese forced the Japanese to open their borders with a vote which was kinda cool.

Comment

Voting cities back to their original owners is fun too.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I also just gifted Iron to the Dutch who border the Portugese and are also at war with them. They better vote for me!

Another question for you guys if you don't mind?

I already have 2 bronze and three rodents. Would you bother building a city in a place like this to get more?

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
              Voting cities back to their original owners is fun too.
              You're kidding!

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                I also just gifted Iron to the Dutch who border the Portugese and are also at war with them. They better vote for me!

Another question for you guys if you don't mind?

I already have 2 bronze and three rodents. Would you bother building a city in a place like this to get more?
                No. that city will never produce anything, and will increase your upkeep costs empire wide, and have it's own upkeep, which it will never be able to pay. A complete waste of hammers.

On the diplomacy front, keep in mind that it's not enough that other civs like you, they have to like you more than the Chinese, AND have enough votes to make a difference. Make sure you spread your religion to your friends.

Wodan: Good idea. Though only your cities is bad, cause you'll win every vote, but nobody will be bound by it. Got to make sure each other civ has 1 (and preferably only 1) city of that lesser religion and get an easy diplo victory.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer

It depends if there's a coastal/fish resource within range to the east. If so, then yes, otherwise not until after Biology. You simply won't have enough food to utilize the land around it.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I just sent a guy over and looked, no fish just ice.

I guess I don't have to build a city.

Comment

I bet that glacier hides Oil too. I personally wouldn't go there, though. I like the AP a lot and it's one of the wonders I really aim for in almost all of my games. It has so many perks, all of which alone would be well worth it. The +2 from each religious building is so sweet, as is of course the vote. I usually have a few friends with whom I share the majority of the AP vote and then 1 city with my religion in it for every other AI, which enables me to pull the strings on just about everything. Declare a holy war on x? Done. Return city y to z? Done. Force the mongers to peace with me? Done. It's like having all the strings in your control.

Try getting the AP, UoS, SM and SC and your +1 +2 Temple will turn into a +1 +2 +7 , +2 , +2 powerhouse. Same deal for the monastery as well as the cathedral, if you're into those. Just awesome.
                      "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Originally posted by Seedle
                        Wodan: Good idea. Though only your cities is bad, cause you'll win every vote, but nobody will be bound by it. Got to make sure each other civ has 1 (and preferably only 1) city of that lesser religion and get an easy diplo victory.
                        Agreed. You'll usually get that without effort, though, which is what I left unsaid. Occasionally, you're correct, you may need to send over a single missionary to convert just one of civ X's cities, to ensure they are included in your malefic votes increasing worldwide strife.

Wodan

ps Man do I have a jaundiced view of the pope or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Seedle
                          Of course, your vassals will always (I think) vote your way on any resolution except, I think, diplo victory.
                          I don't think that's right. They seem to have their own opinions when it comes to votes.

How are dare they!

If someone defys a resolution, they are reduced to voting member correct? That's not much of a deterrent for someone that's already only a voting member. Although I guess there's the unhappiness penalty as well. Can a voter just continue to defy resolutions one after the other?
                          Last edited by JeebusGreen; January 24, 2008, 22:33.

Comment

Originally posted by JeebusGreen

I don't think that's right. They seem to have their own opinions when it comes to votes.

How are dare they!

If someone defys a resolution, they are reduced to voting member correct? That's not much of a deterrent for someone that's already only a voting member. Although I guess there's the unhappiness penalty as well. Can a voter just continue to defy resolutions one after the other?
                            Hmm, maybe they only disagree on higher difficulties or something. I don't think I've ever had a vassal vote against me (or even abstain) on any vote I've initiated at the palace. And these are conquered vassals, they don't like me. Or maybe my memory just sucks. I'll play some more of the game I was discussing and watch the next vote carefully.

Edit: Yeah, Zara just voted against me and he's my vassal. I still say it makes them more likely to vote your way, cause they seem to do so more often as vassals than as friends. But it is not a definite, I was wrong.

As for defying resolutions, I've had to say never to turning over the same city 3-4 times in a game, it never seem to hurt except for the massive unhappiness. In fact, I was anticipating more dire consequences and they never came, at least that I was aware.
                            Last edited by Seedle; January 24, 2008, 23:18.

Comment

Chinese attacked me and took a city. Right out of the blue, they were pleased with me and then they were hitting me in force. I took the city back and now have taken two of theirs, though small one had their iron.

Question, if I burn a city full of true believers do I take a negative hit from the other like minded civs?

Comment

Working...
                              X