Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I still get the river connectivity if my city doesn't...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I still get the river connectivity if my city doesn't...

...touch the river but the fat cross does? How about if the fat cross overlaps the river?

I'm going to be making this city soon so I hope there's some helpful soul around...
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Re: Do I still get the river connectivity if my city doesn't...

You need to have the city (square) connected to the river by a road. In BTS, you also need sailing.
    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

T h a n k Y o u Modo!

I've got a simple mod idea but no such talent. The settler unit should be a hot chick, the scout a guy. The settlerette should not be visible on the map and not movable until her charms are revealed. The scout has to find her in order for you to erm...consumate a city.

We (you) can do it!
      Last edited by Lancer; February 19, 2008, 07:43.

Comment

you only need sailing if the river trade route goes outside your culture boder iirc. if the river is entirely in your culture then you don't need sailing.
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Wonderful! The attention to detail in the making of this game is wonderful. Thanks Krill.

Comment

you can road to a river from your city and that will give you transport capacity all along the river.
            Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
              you only need sailing if the river trade route goes outside your culture boder iirc. if the river is entirely in your culture then you don't need sailing.
              Thank you as well... I didn't know that.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

For Levee, however, you do seem to have to have the river directly adjacent to your city, running along one full side of the city square. Being in your cultural borders or in your fat cross does not seem to allow the Levee to be built.

At least, that's my experience.
                Noctre, Dak'Tar, the master of the endless shadow that envelops you... That is what they call me. Fear, little mortals, and feed me, for you, my little ones... are mine.

Comment

The same applies to hydroelectric plants and Three Gorges Dam; the city must be directly on the river to build them, just running through the fat cross isn't enough.
                  Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Quillan
                    The same applies to hydroelectric plants and Three Gorges Dam; the city must be directly on the river to build them, just running through the fat cross isn't enough.
                    Yeah, I learned about the Three Gorges Dam the hard way. I waited to build it in a city that had a river in the BFC, only to discover I couldn't.
                    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Starfarer
                      For Levee, however, you do seem to have to have the river directly adjacent to your city, running along one full side of the city square. Being in your cultural borders or in your fat cross does not seem to allow the Levee to be built.

At least, that's my experience.
                      Pretty sure touching a corner counts too, it doesn't have to be a full side. Though it does have to touch at some point. The easy way to check when founding a city if the square is "rivered" (yeah, it's a word) or not is see if has fresh water in the box at the bottom left of the screen, if it does, and there isn't a lake touching it, then it is considered "on river" and you can build rivery (yeah, it's a word too) buildings in that city. This will also get you the fresh water health bonus. I generally find sacrificing 2-3 squares for the bonus of being on river is better than founding one square from a river. Exceptions exist, of course.
                      You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

I tend to found upon a hill even if the hill is a space away and there's a pretty little spot on flat land nearby. I get a rise out of being on a river sure, but losing the city is worse than any riverise is good, and no, it's not a word.

Comment

Originally posted by Seedle

Pretty sure touching a corner counts too, it doesn't have to be a full side. Though it does have to touch at some point.
                          Hrm -- I'll have to double check that one; I know there are some improvements, such as water mills, that you can only build if the river is flush along a full side of a square.
                          For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Comment

This is a good thread, thanks to the helpful answers above. I think I can remember a case or two though were I thought that I would be 'rivered', when my city was touching the end of the river (where it peters out) - but I'm pretty sure I couldn't build any 'rivery' improvements. Do you know what I mean, like sometimes on a hill or between mountains where it stops and spreads out into those little streams?

Comment

For a non-forested square, checking whether it has a bonus commerce lets you know whether it's next to the river. Mouse-over will also tell you whether the square has fresh water (again indicating it's adjacent to the river), although lakes can make this inconclusive.

Comment

Working...
                              X