Goody Huts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goody Huts

With the option now to turn them on/off, how many of you have discarded goody huts?

For a long time, I always kept them. They just always seemed like a part of Civ. However, they were risky. Even if you didn't get something bad, you had to worry that someone else got something good. I'll admit, I've been guilty of reloading on them quite a few times.

I just started a game without them and, I have to say, I'm enjoying it very much. Exploration is a lot less stressful. No longer do I need to worry if I am overlooking huts. I can focus on getting the lay of the land. The early cash they usually give is nice, but I never relied on it. In fact, it's a bad habit to rely on them at all.

So I'm saying goodbye to goody huts. Random events will stay though.
    Yes, there's enough randomness in this game, this one I can do without
    1.82%
    No, goody huts are fun
    90.91%
    What are goody huts?
    1.82%
    I'd keep them, if the goodies were bananas
    5.45%
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

I like the randomness that huts and events give to the game. Plus, I agressively hunt them. The early money is a god send, and if I get a tech, so much the better. I don't worry what anybody else gets. Unless it's a MP game
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

goody huts
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Early early game would be far less fun without huts.
        - Dregor

Comment

"The huts are gangsters, we can't take the queen there."

I was going to post that but decided not to.

Goody huts perform an essential function, getting everyone wandering around excited like kids at Christmas. Makes the early game more interesting.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

They're so-so, good when you get something, bad when the enemy get something better.
            If you chase two rabbits, they shall gang up and chase you back.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightfire
              They're so-so, good when you get something, bad when the enemy get something better.
              True, most of the time you get money or maps, which in the long run isn't much. Unit EXP can be ok. But if you get a unit or a tech it can really boost you along.
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I have seen the AI pass right on by goody huts
                anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Eh, goody huts make early exploration a lot more fun. Early exploration is fairly risky, with losing warriors to random animals and stuff; goody huts makes it more worthwhile. Especally, races that start with hunting and a scout seem disadvantaged without goody huts, as hunting is otherwise a weak tech to start with.

Comment

The goody huts help randomize the early game. You get the randomization of the Civ leaders, the starting points, and then the goody huts. Depening on who got what technology, the overall game gets shaped differently.

The one thing I do hate is when my warrior discovers a hut and then someone else's scout snatches it up. Not only do I not get the goodies, I am left wondering what was in that hut.

However, if they uncover barbarians, that is fairly noticeable, especially during the animals-only stage of barbarians. (Have you ever cauught a Barbarian Warrior wandering the map and thought to yourself, "Well, at least on of the AI's have had bad luck with the goody huts, too."?)
                    If you aren't confused,
                    You don't understand.

Comment

Yeah, I agree that no huts would additionaly penalize the civs that start with hunting.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

In playing casual hotseat Civ IV games with my friends, we often good naturedly rag on the player who finds the most goody huts in the immediate vicinity. Without the huts, the fun of that would be gone.

And we all do aggressively hunt the Goody huts

Comment

Oh, yeah. I wouldn't do as much early exploring without the goody huts; that 20-40 gold you almost always gets really makes making the extra few early warriors worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Yosho
                            Eh, goody huts make early exploration a lot more fun. Early exploration is fairly risky, with losing warriors to random animals and stuff; goody huts makes it more worthwhile. Especally, races that start with hunting and a scout seem disadvantaged without goody huts, as hunting is otherwise a weak tech to start with.
                            That's a good point. I may just have to learn to live with them afterall.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Scouts do get better results btw. Last night I sent my scout into a hut and this morning he came out with a party girl on each arm, empty bottles clinking out the door at his feet and funny smelling stale smoke wafting from the chimney.

That's all a very fine thing for a young single scout upon the trail I just wish I wasn't short 25 gold.
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                              X