Automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automation

Does anyone use automated workers/scouts/production queues?

I've been giving all my own orders since I first started, but playing a few MP games with a friend who doesn't have as much experience and doesn't like to micro-manage means I end up being the drag on the turn-timer.

Our games are often semi co-op, and quite cruisy, so there are times when I wonder if it might just be better to let the automation go and see what happens I have little faith though.

Personally I automate my scouts. Now every now and then I have to interfere because they arn't pushing back any more darkness when like half the continent is still black. but their usually auto. I do though have a chart on what the workers build and where so I usually manage them. It's a rare occasion that I auto-manage workers.

Comment

I'd never use automated workers or production queues, but scouts, sure.

That said, theoretically BtS has better automation than prior versions. I'm not sure myself, I don't like the tendency they have to build forts...
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I thought so to until someone told me that you credit for the resource with a fort. So now it makes sense why every resource not in your fat cross gets a fort.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Oh, it's not entirely unuseful, but I find the workers go forting resources I already have when they could be doing more useful things ...
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It is my interpretation that the connection of extra resources is so that you can start trading those extra resources for ones you need. It may not be your priority, but it is the one the workers have programmed in.

I do not automate except for workers after I improve the tiles that I insist one and after I get Machinery, when I can trust them to put windmills and waterwheels where I would have put them also, mostly. There is always one worker under my control who can keep following my priorities or correct egregious errors on the part of automated workers.

I don't automate anything else, and yes, in the few MP games I have played I tend to drag the turns down. My kids snuck in a timer setting on one game just to mess with me. It actually taught me some prioritization abilities and convinced to dither less over my decisions. But I was really torqued off about the setting at first.
            If you aren't confused,
            You don't understand.

Comment

The only thing I'll automate is 1 or 2 explorers with forest II/guerilla II, and after I've secured several open borders agreements. I just don't trust workers enough.

I will use the multi-turn point A->B automation for moving.
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I'll automate scouts on pangea maps.
                And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

I only automate my scouting ships, after exploring some of the oceans - to let them fill the gaps.

Workers never get automated, even in the late game. I couldn't stand them making useless improvements and losing turns, plus, there's always something for them to do...
                  Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Once I've connected roads/railroads to all my cities, and done with improvements I'll use the auto connect resources option while waiting for possible new improvements. I like having roads everywhere when it comes to defending against invaders. You don't need your trade routes killed by a simple road pillage.

I'll shut if off during wars since they're too stupid to stay far enough away.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Never, ever automate any workers, explorers, ships. The AI will devour them and you'll wonder what happened. I don't do it in SP, don't play any MP.
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I never automate units. Nor do I automate production queues.

I instead merely let the city governor do what it wants with the work force and enter long production queues so I don't have to look at the cities every turn.
                        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                        Templar Science Minister
                        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Seems to be the consensus then

Yeah I only ever automate scouts once I've explored the main unchartered bits - once it's open borders and most of the continent is settled I let them go scout out my neighbours territory on their own.

Workers only get automated near end-game for me when pretty much everything is improved the way I like it - I just make sure "Workers leave old improvements" is turned on so they only build in the gaps where I've forgotten, not over anything.

Comment

Working...
                          X