Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought war weariness was civilization specific?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought war weariness was civilization specific?

In my last game, I only warred with Roosevelt. Three short wars (max 15 turns each). The last one ended around 1850 or before. Roosevelt was wiped out altogether by another civ some 25 turns later.

At 1950 I won the game, and in In-More-Turn-mode tried to launch a small invasion of Survayarman on the neighbouring continent simply because I have never invaded across the sea before and wanted to see how things went.

I sent 32 tanks and razed a city I conquered on turn two of the war (since I was just experimenting I simply wanted to see how far these troops could get me.)

One turn three I noticed that my war weariness was showing up 6-7 angry people in my capital and largest cities (settled by myself and never under anyone else's influence).

On turn four, and as most of my troops had been beaten, the war weariness in my capital had jumped 12 angry faces (i.e., the "War, what is it good for... unh!" angry red faces).

How on earth can it jump to 12 faces in four turns? Particularly since I have not previously been at war with him at all, and it is some 75 turns or more since my last war which was really short.
    "Can we get a patch that puts Palin under Quayle?" - Theben

Perhaps Suryavarman II had the Statue of Zeus? Maybe you shared a religion? Did you run Police State during your first war but not during the second?

Suffering losses like you explained is usually what explains war weariness. It's logical really, thousands of young men lost to war will make a nation express their loathing for said war and the heads of state as they would in a real society.

In BTS, however, you can completely eliminate War Weariness by running Police State, having Jails everywhere and have built Mount Rushmore.
    "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Originally posted by Fleme

Suffering losses like you explained is usually what explains war weariness. It's logical really, thousands of young men lost to war will make a nation express their loathing for said war and the heads of state as they would in a real society.
      And just like in real society, the leaders don't give a damn.
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Fleme
        ...In BTS, however, you can completely eliminate War Weariness by running Police State, having Jails everywhere and have built Mount Rushmore.
        That's a good strategy for a long war outside your turf.
        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

In war weariness, distance matters. "Over the sea" is a long way away per the existing algorithms. So, you were losing a war a long ways away. If your opponent had the Statue of Zeus that adds a 100% multiple. Plus your people don't like being at war with people of the same faith. Lastly, if declaring war cost your society happiness resources, this shows up in your ability to deal with war weariness. Sometimes, it pays to stay home or build jails.
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
          X