Third Worlds Autosave Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third Worlds Autosave Option

The power just went out which it often does once or twice a day. The timing is significant, it's usually right in the middle of something amazingly interesting and terribly time consuming. So interesting that my mind is always a thousand miles away from reality and the thought of saving the game, and the game is always four turns away from the last autosave.

Funny how that happens isn't it?

Still, I shouldn't complain, the power situation isn't as it was 10 years ago when I first set foot in the Philippines and this little town of Jagna. Back then the guys at the power station would shut it off to go to fiesta, and turn it back on three days later if they weren't too hung over to move. That was when electric power was still a fairly new novelty around here and certainly not needed. Still not really, not here.

Back to the point! There should be an 'autosave every turn' option, thanks.

Now to go restart my game and refight that nassy little war which was so interesting the first go round.

Sometimes I'll just start a new game if it's too much to redo.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

civ 4 BTS config file.

find the "Autosave" somewhere and change the variable from 4 to 1... then save it.

like I did.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

What aahz said

There are two major things to adjust with autosaves:
      1. Frequency: change it to 1 (every turn)
      2. Number saved: Default is 4, plus the original 4000 BC one; change that to 500 (or more if marathon etc.) and have the whole game kept
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Snoopy, you are a great contributor and a fine answerer of questions. But saving a game every turn for multi-hundreds of turns is really geeky. Have you no life?
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
          Snoopy, you are a great contributor and a fine answerer of questions. But saving a game every turn for multi-hundreds of turns is really geeky. Have you no life?
          The autosaves are automatically cleared when he starts a new game, so I don't see the problem with it. If he decides he doesn't like the way things are working out, he can restart from an earlier time.

I personally only save the last 20 turns or so, but it can be very handy in some situations.

Comment

It's useful if you want to report a bug, if you want to go back and play from an earlier point, or if something goes bad and gets corrupted (first 2 points combined). Otherwise, I have tons of space, so why not keep them, it's automatically generated anyway...
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I also save every turn for 2000 turns at least
              Not that I ever have used an autosave of 100 turns ago, but I just do it because it''s possible, my harddrive space is doing nothing anyway with that left over space 8)
              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

You guys come to the Phils and show me? I have 4 extra bedrooms and a hell of alot of rum and mangos.

Comment

Buy a UPS
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

United Parcel Service? Kinda spendy.

Comment

Phillippine mangos
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Indian mangoes pwn all others
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I've never had one, but if you believe that never having had a Philippine mango, you might just get a surprise.

The mangos from the Central Visayas region are world renouned for being the sweetest, most flavorful mangos on the face of the Earth.

FACT!

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                            Phillippine mangos
                            Originally posted by LordShiva
                            Indian mangoes pwn all others

Do you mean Brazilian mangoes...
                            RIAA sucks
                            The Optimistas
                            I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Bah. I've had mangos from South America. They're good, but pale compared to Phillippine...
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                              X