Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first barracks always burns down and it makes me happy because...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first barracks always burns down and it makes me happy because...

...it's been "pre-disastered" as what's his name said in that '80s movie. Never had another fire sweep though and take out something costing much more. Is that just luck or is the game made in such a way that fire doesn't strike the same city twice?

Also along the same line I had a tornado come down and wipe out my horse pasture, while the worker was building a road on the same hex! Very convenient...is the pasture he replaces it with safe from tornados?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

no and no....

I had my worker finish repairing tornado damage, only to have termites eat it all the very same turn it was fixed....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

A variation on:

Captain Blackadder: Baldrick, what are you doing out there?
      Private Baldrick: I'm carving something on a bullet, sir.
      Captain Blackadder: What are you craving?
      Private Baldrick: I'm carving "Baldrick", sir.
      Captain Blackadder: Why?
      Private Baldrick: It's part of a cunning plan, sir.
      Captain Blackadder: Of course it is.
      Private Baldrick: You know how they say that somewhere there's a bullet with your name on it?
      Captain Blackadder: Yes?
      Private Baldrick: Well I thought that if I owned the bullet with my name on it, I'll never get hit by it. Cause I'll never shoot myself...
      Captain Blackadder: Oh, shame!
      Private Baldrick: And the chances of there being *two* bullets with my name on it are very small indeed.
      Captain Blackadder: Yes, it's not the only thing that is "very small indeed". Your brain for example- is brain's so minute, Baldrick, that if a hungry cannibal cracked your head open, there wouldn't be enough to cover a small water biscuit.

Comment

Yeah, I noticed the twister always takes out the barracks first.

The virtual trailer park of Civ4.

Comment

I've lost the same elephant camp to tornadoes three times in one game.

I was ready to farm the damn thing.
          www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Re: My first barracks always burns down and it makes me happy because...

Originally posted by Lancer
            ...it's been "pre-disastered" as what's his name said in that '80s movie. Never had another fire sweep though and take out something costing much more. Is that just luck or is the game made in such a way that fire doesn't strike the same city twice?

Also along the same line I had a tornado come down and wipe out my horse pasture, while the worker was building a road on the same hex! Very convenient...is the pasture he replaces it with safe from tornados?

I once had a mine destroyed by mine cave ins once every ten turns for an entire game. The same bloody mine. I repaired it from my treasury (with supposed emphasis on improved mine safety, LIARS!), but still, ten turns or so later, bam, same event again.
            Noctre, Dak'Tar, the master of the endless shadow that envelops you... That is what they call me. Fear, little mortals, and feed me, for you, my little ones... are mine.

Comment

I refuse to believe! My stuff is predisastered and that's IT!

Liked the Blackadder bit though.

Anybody recall the actor and the '80s movie in which a plane flew into his house and he was happy because it was predisastered? :senile:

Comment

Originally posted by The Priest
                A variation on:

Captain Blackadder: Baldrick, what are you doing out there?
                Private Baldrick: I'm carving something on a bullet, sir.
                Captain Blackadder: What are you craving?
                Private Baldrick: I'm carving "Baldrick", sir.
                Captain Blackadder: Why?
                Private Baldrick: It's part of a cunning plan, sir.
                Captain Blackadder: Of course it is.
                Private Baldrick: You know how they say that somewhere there's a bullet with your name on it?
                Captain Blackadder: Yes?
                Private Baldrick: Well I thought that if I owned the bullet with my name on it, I'll never get hit by it. Cause I'll never shoot myself...
                Captain Blackadder: Oh, shame!
                Private Baldrick: And the chances of there being *two* bullets with my name on it are very small indeed.
                Captain Blackadder: Yes, it's not the only thing that is "very small indeed". Your brain for example- is brain's so minute, Baldrick, that if a hungry cannibal cracked your head open, there wouldn't be enough to cover a small water biscuit.
                Classic
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Like the statistician that always brings a bomb on the plane...

Comment

Comment

[
                      Anybody recall the actor and the '80s movie in which a plane flew into his house and he was happy because it was predisastered? :senile: [/QUOTE]

Wasnt that Robin Williams in the World according to Garp? It was something John Irving. Maybe Hotel new Hampshire.

Comment

That's it! The World According to Garp. I never like Robin Williams in much, but that wasn't so bad.

Comment

I've had fires destroy my theater, forge and factory before. Not all in the same city though.
                          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Never had a barracks burn. See forges burning messages all the time, tho. I had a forge burn while building the Collossus -- game wouldn't let me continue with Col OR keep the hammers while rebuilding the forge. As a result of that I lost the wonder race for Col. Wanted to scream. Ended up conquering the city that had it, but after Astronomy, so no benefit for me. Arrgh!
                            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I don't think I have seen that event yet, but I have really had enough already with food being stolen by bandits.

Comment

Working...
                              X