No announcement yet.

Cognomens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you are right. This would all be part of giving strategic choices - different pathways of development which gave their own advantages but can't all be pursued. It would be like having some traits which come as a result of the paths you follow in the game. The civ determines the basic starting traits but you can add to them as well by your actions. Elizabeth is always X and X (can't quite remember - financial and philosphical?) but in this game she was also proclaimed 'defender of the faith' for her religious building programme and wars against the infidels, which gave a happiness bonus to cities with 2 religious buildings / half the length of anarchy etc.

Comment

First round the world should get a +1 movement bonus for ships and the title of 'the Navigator'.
      www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Some possible titles and triggers:

The Great (first to conquer cities from 2 rivals)
        The Conqueror (first to completely conquer a rival)
        The Destroyer (first one to raze 2 enemy cities)
        The Cunning (first one to conduct 2 offensive espionage missions)
        The Supreme (first in the overall powergraph for x consecutive turns)
        The Builder (first one to produce a total of 2000 hammers, all production combined)
        The Wise (first one to produce a total of 2000 beakers, all research combined)

Alternatively, you could have negative titles, such as

The Puny (smallest empire for x consecutive turns)
        The Weak (weakest army for x consecutive turns)
        The Meek (willingly vassalizes)

I could think of some small bonuses to go with each title too but I think that'd be too much since this is all just a bit of hypothesis anyways.
        "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Some other good ones:

The Pius: First one to build 10 religious buildings (temples, monistaries, cathedrals)

The Brave: Declares war on a neighboring civ with 50% greater total power

The Lionhearted: The first leader to win two religious wars (wars against someone of another religion)

The Crusader: First to spread (as in, personally spread through use of missionaries) their state religion into 15 cities.

Patron of the Arts: First to get the culture of their capital city past a certain number (probably would very with map size or whatever)

Obveously, some of these are much harder/riskier to get then others, so they should have bigger rewards.

Comment

Not directly related to the subject, but I have to mention it.

In my last game I tried the gambit of using the first Great General to make my first scout a Medic III unit. It worked pretty well. I even gave him the free upgrade to Explorer. It wasn't until a few turns later that I noticed the title of my unit. It was "Iven the Terrible (Explorer)", which of course reads as "Ivan, the Terrible Explorer.

I don't know what made him such a terrible explorer, but he functioned well as a medic. That part of the gambit paid off nicely.

But every time I saw the unit title I thought of this thread and how some cognomens (love that word!) are definitely open to misinterpretation.
            If you aren't confused,
            You don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleme
              The Destroyer (first one to raze 2 enemy cities)
              I like it. Coincidentally, I read the other day that George Washington was given the name
              "Town Destroyer" by the American Indians.

Comment

Working...
              X