Swords to plowshares?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swords to plowshares?

Sometimes I wish I could convert swords to farms at the end of a war. I would expect the military unit to build the farm and disappear. Anyone else think this would be a good feature?

What about disbanding units in city to get half production cost back?
    But yes, it would be an idea. Convert to farm or cottage?
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I'll say this without having done any historical research of any kind to support my idea:

Having soldiers "settle" in the land they conquered can be a very effective way of "subjugating" the newly conquered territory..

Perhaps doing something like this (at a certain monetary cost?) could increase culture in the city or the tile.. In essence you sacrifice some of your army in exchange of greater control over the newly conquered territory..

Kinda reminds me of Civ3's tactic of starving a conquered city and moving in your own settlers/workers to put your own citizens in there.

Not sure how this could all work or be balanced (probably not as effective today as in more ancient times), or avoid too much micromanagement, but something to look into.

Narmox

Comment

good idea.
        Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

The Romans certainly founded 'colonies' in captured territories, settling veterans there, which helpled subjugate the area, by giving focal points of loyalty to Rome. Alexander also founded cities throughout his conquered area. The latter might be represented in civ by actually founding cities, but the former wouldn't be. Disband units to give culture is a square could be good, and it woudl give some mechanism to help with culture flipping, even though a costly one.

Comment

Seems like a great idea. On a related note I'd love to see a promotion "Engineer" (Combat 2 being the prequisite) for military units which would allow them to construct roads and forts. (Available at Mil. Sci or Trad.) and then changing Praetorians to 7 Str and Engineer, seeing that it was the Roman legions who built roads and forts alongside the regular working men. (To my knowledge, atleast).

The initial idea of the OP could be implemented by having a disbanded unit create a cottage or a farm to the tile in which it's disbanded or if you had like 5 military units they could form a settlement? Some Roman legionary camps developed into cities that are still in existence.
            "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Working...
            X