Random Barbarian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Barbarian

In my last game, I was playing as Ragnar. I was alone with Frederick on a small continent. Very early on, I got the "barbarian horde, we're likely to see the worst of it" event. Four archers spawned on my western border, but marched north past my warrior defended capital to Berlin. I had a scout out that way, so I eventually went and checked on Berlin. I found it had been captured by barbs...but left completely unoccupied. The surviving archers had started heading south toward Nidaros. I mopped them up and raced my lowly warrior up to Berlin, which was still undefended and was captured without a fight. Yay barbs! Anyone ever seen this before? It was pretty cheesy and put me way ahead. Berlin became a terrific wonder producer then GP pump -- it was basically all seafood, hills and forest. I was planning on putting the National Forest there -- it still had at least six forest tiles as I approached the needed tech. Unfortunately, I got greedy and captured a city containing the Apostolic palace religion and lost to a religious diplo vote. Bah.
    The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

I actually had this myself, quite some time ago. I had the event where it spawned Swordsmen on my northern border and they proceeded south all the way through my empire, captured an Egyptian city, left it unoccupied and proceeded to march on their capital. I promptly sent a Warrior to seize the opportunity and ended up with +1 city.

It's a nice change of pace from them spawning next to your capital, capturing it and ruining your game.
    "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Re: Random Barbarian

Originally posted by DirtyMartini
      I mopped them up and raced my lowly warrior up to Berlin, which was still undefended and was captured without a fight. Yay barbs! Anyone ever seen this before? It was pretty cheesy and put me way ahead.
      ... Unfortunately, I got greedy and captured a city containing the Apostolic palace religion and lost to a religious diplo vote. Bah.

And that's how it SHOULD be -- No matter how good things are, someone can always steal the game from you!

Just imagine, perhaps if you hadn't taken Berlin, the AP vote might have gone YOUR way.
      (yes, I'm not quite serious)

Comment

I had the horse archer version spawn 2 moves from my best city, then go on a walk to my neighbors capital, about 10 moves away. The two battled it out, ultimately killing the city. I "just happened" to have worked a gally with soldier and settler to that point. Poof, instant city, most squares already worked! Beat the heck out of the tundra-with-silver spot that settler had been headed for.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I've seen a group of 4 spearmen take out 2 capitals (prince level) and them come to mine. Fortunately by then there was only 1 0.8 health spearman left.

Comment

Working...
          X